New purchase / project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beetlejuice

here's my new purchase and first single speed bike, the strip down begins tomorrow - expect lots of questions .
Anyone with any ideas what make bike it is?

Attachments

• IMG_1250.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 82
suicide brake levers !!!!!

OP
OP
beetlejuice

beetlejuice

Brakes aren't that effective to be 'suicide' in any way .
Those that have done this before on an old frame - are the forks much narrower than modern ones? I tried up a spare rim with a QR skewer but the hub was too wide?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
+1 for keeping the SA 3 speed. I hope it was super cheap, looks like it needs a lot of work. The corrosion under the paint doesn't look too clever.

OP
OP
beetlejuice

beetlejuice

Apart from having 3 gears, why would people keep the 3 speed please?

Can the hubs be used to have rims built in 700c size? If they can, does anyone know someone in the North East? Or recommend anyone - bike will only be used for the odd commute and leisure ride with the Mrs.

Stripped down of parts, almost ready for blasting/rub down - rust appears to be just surface corrosion

Attachments

• IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1258.JPG
    IMG_1258.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 87

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Any competent bike shop can build up the wheels, cost may be an issue though. I'm lucky in that the guy who does my wheels only charges a tenner for a build (he describes it as knitting for blokes and does em of an evening) but you're looking at £25 for a rim and a quid each for spokes (roughly)
My main reason for changing wheel size was to get rid of the 'bent steel' brakes and steel rims.

The crank/bottom bracket looks 'interesting' on yours though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why would you keep the 3 speed Raleigh?
'Fixies' and SS bikes are so last week :whistle: and you've gotta love the 'ticking' of a 3 speed in normal or high gear.

Since that picture I've also fitted a Brooks saddle with springs....................still wondering about mudguards and refitting the chainguard though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Brakes aren't that effective to be 'suicide' in any way .
Those that have done this before on an old frame - are the forks much narrower than modern ones? I tried up a spare rim with a QR skewer but the hub was too wide?

It dawned on me this morning that earlier bikes had narrower axles and quite often you either have to use original axles or get the dremmal out and open the drop out up to suit the later axle's

OP
OP
beetlejuice

beetlejuice

The inside measurements of the forks are only 90mm (the rear is approx 112mm) so i'm guessing i'll either have to use the original hubs to have 700c wheels built up with or stick with the original 650 wheels.

Top Bottom