New rear mech not shifting - damaged shifter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
No worries, glad you've got it going. Bet this thread gets a few views in its dim and distant future, when others stumble up against the same thing.

It all makes sense, but only once you know how it works :sad:

Earlier this year, I lost months trying to dial in the perfect position for a set of new disc pads. With trial and error adjustments across multiple rides, I eventually got them to a point where they barely chimed, but could never dial in the perfect setting. Had the wheel off maybe 7 times. Removed and re-attached the rotor maybe 3.

Eventually, mentioned it in passing whilst in the LBS. Shop guy leans over, spins the wheel, listens to the rub, grabs rotor, pulls it towards him, spins wheel, silent. Ah... ok. Bent rotor. :angry:

OP
OP
beatleandrew

beatleandrew

So glad to have sorted the bike out now, I've been getting seriously moody without it. Couldn't have got it all fixed up by myself without this forum. Everyone on here is so nice!

GilesM

Legendary Member
beatleandrew said:
You'll see that this is clearly my first time engaging in any serious tinkering with cables and derailleurs, but hopefully this experience will aid my slow progress from Know How advisee to advisor. Rather than take my bike into the shop every time something goes wrong, I'm determined to learn how to fix bike problems myself as they arise. This case has really helped me along with that, so many thanks to everyone who's helped me out!

Good to hear you've got it fixed, and even better to know you are learning more about fixing your bike.

Have fun.

Top Bottom