New rear wheel required....help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

Bought a Trek 7.1fx hybrid bike about 2 years ago. it came with 700x38 tyres/wheels and i keep having trouble with the rear wheel. Two broken axles and broken spokes on two occasions. Spoke to LBS yesterday and he said he could make me up a rear wheel which is much stronger for about £100. Any idea if this is a good price? Please bear in mind that the bike was only £300 new!

Incidentally, my current wheel is 'having problems' because it has a screw on cassette rather than the newer ones that slide on, and mine has more 'give' on the rear axle because of where the bearings are (if that makes sense??)

As always, any help appreciated

andyfromotley

Dont pay 100 for a new wheel!

on a £300 bike that seems way too much for me. Assuming you dont need it for anything specific there are loads of wheels that will do the job. Shimano wh500 £40 edinburgh cycles being one. i have just fitted one, i am 15 stone plus and do plenty of mileage. It's nothing special but seems ok.

Not sure i understand the second paragraph but there are plent yof people on here who will in time.

good luck andy

RedBike

£100 sounds like a heck of a lot to me. Unfortunately good quality wheels with a screw on hub are now hard to come by so they do fetch premium prices.

For that sort of money though you could get a 7 speed cassette (I am aware you bike wheels currently has a freewheel; and i'm guessing it's 7 speed)

A branded high end rear wheel

And a new chain just incase yours in worn.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
You could easily build your own rear wheel for less than £40. It is a very satisfying job to do and not rocket science.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Aim for £100 for a pair - they will be more than good enough.

A 8/9 speed freehub will take a 7 speed cassette - you'll just need an extra spacer or two (I'm running a 7 speed on some mavic wheels)....

OP
OP
D

DLB

Thanks for the replies

the difficulty i might have is getting a black wheel rather than silver as my bike and full mudguards are all black. I think i might give edinburgh cycle company a call and see if they have anything suitable (although it's a 2 hour round trip if i want to visit them)

cheers

gbb

Legendary Member
DLB said:
Bought a Trek 7.1fx hybrid bike about 2 years ago. it came with 700x38 tyres/wheels and i keep having trouble with the rear wheel. Two broken axles and broken spokes on two occasions. Spoke to LBS yesterday and he said he could make me up a rear wheel which is much stronger for about £100. Any idea if this is a good price? Please bear in mind that the bike was only £300 new!

Incidentally, my current wheel is 'having problems' because it has a screw on cassette rather than the newer ones that slide on, and mine has more 'give' on the rear axle because of where the bearings are (if that makes sense??)

As always, any help appreciated

My 7.1fx suffered from the same DLB...weak wheels. Ive had to replace both of mine.
A 'good' wheel for £100 'may' be a very good wheel. You say he's going to build it...but with what ?
He may be using very good hubs and rims ?
He may have included a 7 speed cassette, knowing a freewheel hub may be harder to get, or more expensive.
I'd suggest you ask him specifics DLB...exactly what is he proposing. He may be building you a bulletproof wheel..with good intentions.

Even so, £100 is surely OTT for your requirements.

The rear axle bearings ?
IIRC, they are 'buried' deep within the hub / freewheel. I have stripped and lubed mine..they are a bit awkward, perhaps there's too much play.

In the end, finances (tightwad ;) ) dictated i put a cheap wheel (it accepted a freewheel) on the rear. Cost about £20....absolutey nothing special, but it's stayed the course for the last year or so.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I had my rear wheel rebuilt on my trek 7.1fx after it broke a spoke - stainless steel spokes and a deore hub - converted it to a 9 speed (had to change the shifters too of course) - the wheel rebuild cost £40 - wheel been fine since (3 yrs) and the casette hub with its bearings nearer the end of the axle means I'm less likely to break axles than with a freehub.

£100 wayyyy tooo high but you know that already thanks to this forum!

Top Bottom