New record speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Well I was working all weekend and managed to get out on my bike a while on Friday morning. I got home, went straight to work and when I got back last night I downloaded the data.

I've been wanting to break 50 mph for some time, and I had climbed a hill called the Suie which is pretty fast and Mr Garmin he says:-

49.9 mph :sad:

How close is that?

Never mind there will be another day and that hill or another one.

zacklaws

Guru
Was the 49.9 mph displayed at the time or was it from what was recorded? I know from experience from going down Holme Moss, that the Garmin was reading 50+, but when I checked the recording later to see what I had actually achieved, it was only in the high 40's. My VDO computer also confirmed the same, 50+ at the time but less than 50 recorded as maximum, I have a feeling that a computer has to record a speed for a certain length of time for it to be recorded.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
I was too busy trying to stay alive to look at it at the time. My nose was very near the stem and my eyesight doesn't work very well very close up. I also had on tinted glasses which affects the contrast on the screen and makes it more difficult to read - garmin 500. So I really didn't think I had time to try and process the info. The hill has a sharp corner well down and I also had to time my braking effort to make sure I could actually get round it.

As I was short of time I had to dash off on Friday afternnon without checking, and have idly wondered if I made it all weekend, until I was able to check it last night.

It was recorded as maximum speed under details on the garmin connect page.

Incidentally I averaged 38.2 over a mile, which is the highest I can remember.

zacklaws

Guru
I was too busy trying to stay alive to look at it at the time. My nose was very near the stem and my eyesight doesn't work very well very close up. I also had on tinted glasses which affects the contrast on the screen and makes it more difficult to read - garmin 500. So I really didn't think I had time to try and process the info. The hill has a sharp corner well down and I also had to time my braking effort to make sure I could actually get round it.

Incidentally I averaged 38.2 over a mile, which is the highest I can remember.

I have the same problems, poor eysight close up unless I concentrate, so I also use a VDO computer in conjunction with my Garmins so I have a bigger display and both display the same.

Oddly enough, despite going over 50 mph at the time, looking at my download a maximum of 40.3 was recorded

And also I averaged 38.3mph over a mile on that ride, descending 457' with an average cadence of 7rpm and recorded it as doing 1min 35secs a mile

zexel

Veteran
It doesn't matter how big your display is, please resist the urge to look at it at 50mph. My lesson was learnt doing 30mph.

I got back from a ride and uploaded my data and see that I'd reached 51mph.... in the fens!

Start button on the garmin must of got pressed while still in the car. :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
It doesn't matter how big your display is, please resist the urge to look at it at 50mph. My lesson was learnt doing 30mph.

Its sound advice, but it works both ways, I failed to look down at my Garmin one day to check my map and course and had a nightmare experience when I did not see what was coming up ahead of me.

I was belting down a hill on a narrow country road just over 40mph, and all of a sudden I saw an "S" bend appear in front of me, I slammed all my brakes on but it did not help because the road ramped down at that point as well so my speed kept high.

I went through a 90 degree to the left on the wrong side of the road clipping the edge at 26mph, followed by a 90 degree to the right with only about 10 yards to try and get back onto the right side of the road to take it wide and just managed to get round with a stone wall with hawthorn growing out of it just sything past it. I lived with that vision of that wall for weeks and I can still see it.

I did not believe what I had done at till I downloaded it and saw my exact route I had took on Google Earth.

So now I check the Garmin frequently.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Sorry zacklaws, I don't understand, surely you see what's coming up ahead of you by looking at what's ahead of you,not by looking at your Garmin?

zacklaws

Guru
Sorry zacklaws, I don't understand, surely you see what's coming up ahead of you by looking at what's ahead of you,not by looking at your Garmin?

When in unfamiliar territory and your going like the clappers from hell and all of a sudden a bend appears in front of you then you've got problems if you've failed to follow the map, by a quick glance down at the Garmin map display I can see what is coming up fast upon me. Likewise I can see by a downloaded profile if I am at the top of a hill or is it just a false brow. Its simple, same as I use my car GPS, I can see what's coming up ahead and out of sight. Its technology to be used for such purposes. Do rally drivers, co-drivers not give out info of what is coming up in a rally, or does he just sit there like a dummy whilst the driver just drives with no situational awarness of what is coming up ahead.

If it was a case of just looking ahead and never failing to make a bend because you will always see it, explain why we see so many holes in hedges and fences etc where others have made the same mistake

And as for telling me about potholes etc coming up, yes, I can input that information of known hazards on my route, like I do with the start of climbs and feed stations etc if I am that concerned and I will get a warning when I approach it.

Why do you think the Garmin "Edge" is called so, I'll give you a clue the answers in the name. And when your out racing and fast group rides, any "Edge" you can get, helps.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Do rally drivers, co-drivers not give out info of what is coming up in a rally, or does he just sit there like a dummy whilst the driver just drives with no situational awarness of what is coming up ahead.

And as for telling me about potholes etc coming up, yes, I can input that information of known hazards on my route, like I do with the start of climbs and feed stations etc if I am that concerned and I will get a warning when I approach it.

But a rally driver as you rightly state has a co-driver so he never needs to take his eyes off the road, it's so he doesn't have to sit there with a map in his lap, there'd be many more hedges with holes in if he did. Unless you're on a tandem that analogy doesn't really work.

Do they really give give out information on potholes? I've never looked at them to be honest but that's incredibly impressive if they have that much level of detail.

twobiker

Every so often I get the urge to just let the bike go on a downhill, best so far 44mph, but then I think ,"what happens if I fall off at this speed?" and the brakes come on.need one of those heads up displays like a jet fighter.

Goobs

Veteran
Every so often I get the urge to just let the bike go on a downhill, best so far 44mph, but then I think ,"what happens if I fall off at this speed?" and the brakes come on.need one of those heads up displays like a jet fighter.

Same here 44 downhill is the most but after going flat out for more than a minute fear creeps in and I tend to dab the rear brakes a little till under 30 !

Top Bottom