New rider -what would you say?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Bonj talking bollocks again? What a surprise, LOL! Hub dynamos are amazing nowadays, I can't even feel the difference between when it's on and off with my Schmidt.

PBancroft

When he gets to parts he isn't confident but the pavement is pretty clear he cycles on the pavement. If it's busy with peds he gets off and walks.

He asked me what I thought and I told him that I don't have a problem with his pavement cycling in these circmustances. I think there's a place for it, and he's on the right track to build confidence and get onto the roads in time.

Would anyone have advised him differently?

To be fair, I would have said exactly the same.

I remember riding with my ex from Clapham to Wesminister one weekend - that was the last time I did that!!!!

My blase "Its fine, traffic doesn't go that fast, and the journey is only 15mins or so" went out of the window when I realised how fast she could cycle - I don't think we broke 12 mph!

Handling London traffic at 12 instead of my normal 20+mph is very scary indeed. I had no idea what it was like to compete with traffic at those speeds, its not even remotely fair. Its also taught me that the faster I am travelling, more cars give me more room (if that makes sense).

I say good luck to your friend! Keep encouraging him, talk to him about cycling, let him read your CTC, C+ etc magazine if you take one.

There is only one thing more addictive than nicotine... cycling :blush:

Road Fiddler

User i think i would advise and encourage him to use the road, he will not build his confidence around traffic if he is on the pavement.

It might be an idea if you go out for a ride with him when you get to a busy part you take the lead and tell him to follow your rear wheel so it gets a feel for proper road positioning. Just keep an eye on your speed so you dont drop him off the back.

If you have a car park local to your works maybe get him out on the roads within it so he can learn proper positioning and the like.

He would probable benefit from a copy of Cyclecraft.

Its good to hear you have convinced him to try cycling and my hat goes off to him for taking the bull by the horn to give it a go and to recognise he lacks confidence in his riding and book some cycle lessons. I hope nothing happens that may put him off of the idea that cycling is good.

Hmmm. A tricky one. I am anti pavement cycling, mainly because of the attitude it engenders in drivers and because it can be dangerous for the cyclist and others. However, it is being done with care and with the aim of progressing to cycling on the road.

I would suggest to the chap if possible that he should wait until he goes on the course before cycling. By agreeing with him about cycling on the pavement it suggest that cycling on the road is dangerous (or more dangerous than being a pedestrian) which is more of a perception than reality.

Cycling along with him is also a great idea of possible and this would help to build his confidence.

I do make comments to other pavement cyclists, but I tend to avoid commenting on obviously new cyclists. However, if I have a chance (i.e. stop next to them) I would have a wee chat, just to make sure that they realised that what they are doing is illegal and that they should really give the road a go as it wasn't that bad!

Maybe setting up cycle buddy schemes would be a good idea.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The problem is that he has already started cycling to work and doesn't want to/can't afford to stop. he's planned his routes well, but there are a couple of busy parts that he just can't avoid.

For what it's worth, I started doing my commute about 4 weeks ago - up until the second week I stopped and walked my bike at one particular set of junctions. After realising I was adding about 10 minutes to my journey needlessly, I rode through them - paying attention to my road positioning, and watching what the drivers around me were doing, it was far easier than I thought it would be. I hope your friend finds the confidence to give the nasty bits of his commute a try - hopefully he'll find it's not as bad as he thought it would be.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Personally, I wouldn't 'allow' someone to cycle on the pavement. If it was scary, I'd tell them to get off and push - but I'm one of those is very sensitive to how others see cyclists and then lay their perceptions on me - and the average unthinking driver probably can't spot a novice from a chav on a nicked MTB.

Also, if he feels he has the option to ride on the pavement, it'll take longer to get the confidence to tackle the tricky bits - although I completely understand nervousness. So I'd certainly be encouraging him to get over the pavement stage ASAP, although I agree that it is possible to ride 'responsibly' on the pavement - alas, the rules are the way they are because too many people can't be trusted to do so (as are all laws, I guess...)

Also, I'd disagree that you have to ride fast to be safe - well, maybe that's just a London thing. The important thing is to match your riding style to your speed. If you aren't zippy, you have to think further ahead, and tackle some junctions a little differently perhaps. Average pootling speed isn't important to me, but knowing I can put on a burst of acceleration when I need to is...

Top Bottom