New road bike recommendations c£2k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SiCo

In the market for a new bike, looking to spend £2k max. Any recommendations? Would need to be provided by a cycle to work scheme provider.

Also, I’m 5ft 11 - what is the

Giant Defy Advanced.

Sensa bikes from Merlin Cycles are pretty tasty looking at this price point.

You're probably going to find stock an issue at this moment in time.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to a few local shops that take your c2w scheme (check with your HR team) and make a shortlist, sit on them for size. Be aware stocks are very low and prices high. in normal times there would be a hundred or more bikes that meet your 2k roadbike spec!
Is this your first roadbike?
if not, what size is the current bike? At 5’11, probably an ML in the suggested Giant, a 56 or possibly an L in another brand, there’s little to no consistency in how manufacturers label the size of their bikes.

2k is a fair amount to spend on a commuter bike, so check it takes mudguards as it’s wet in Glasgow and mudguards will help to keep you and the bike a bit less mucky and components will last longer

if you’re not planning on racing, a ‘gravel’ bike would make a good commuter/do it all bike

Last edited:

BigMeatball

Cannondale CAAD13 105 disc.

2021 model, £2000. For sale in evans.

Stock availability doesn't seem to be a problem so you can get a couple of sizes in for a test ride.

BigMeatball

Would be good to know if evans do test rides.

Don't see why they shouldn't. I mean, shops are open, gyms are open, everything is open (for now). I'd assume as long as necessary precautions are in place, such as cleaning the bike before and after the test ride and/or having the customer wear gloves and mask for the test ride, it shouldn't be a problem.

Let's ask evans!

vickster

Legendary Member
Would be good to know if evans do test rides.

Don't see why they shouldn't. I mean, shops are open, gyms are open, everything is open (for now). I'd assume as long as necessary precautions are in place, such as cleaning the bike before and after the test ride and/or having the customer wear gloves and mask for the test ride, it shouldn't be a problem.

Let's ask evans!
There is absolutely nothing about TRs on their mobile site now...nor the desktop site. Maybe now they've been fully subsumed into SDI, it's ended anyhow (Ashley not known for giving something for nothing)

If you google, this comes up but the link is broken...I reckon they've ditched TRs full stop
COVID-19 FAQs : Evans Cycles - Evans Cycles | Contact Us
help.evanscycles.com › 77000336304-covid-19-faqs

What measures are being taken to avoid the spread of the coronavirus in Evans Cycles stores? We have ... Test rides will not be available during this period.

Last edited:

BigMeatball

What measures are being taken to avoid the spread of the coronavirus in Evans Cycles stores? We have ... Test rides will not be available during this period.

so I assume it's going to be the same to all bike shops?

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Rather than setting a budget of £2,000 why not set out what you actually need from the bike. How far will you be going? hills? fine weather or all weathers? road type? city or country?

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
If you're looking to commute in Glasgow, or even to ride purely for exercise/fitness, then I'd budget for:
Mudguards​
Locks​
Decent output lights​
Waterproof clothing​
Insurance​
You may already have these, but many don't consider these essentials

Daninplymouth

I bought a cannondale synapse carbon disc, just over budget at £2200 but you might get one a little cheaper. Really like the bike comfortable and fast plus will run 28mm tyres with full mudguards

Top Bottom