New road cycling shoes??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wayno2110

Hello I’ve recently purchased the adidas road cycling shoes that are in the photo, I took them out on my first ride this morning but kept slipping off the pedals!!? These are my first ever cycle shoe! And I’m now thinking I need some cleats to go on the bottom which I wasn’t aware of!? Please can you help as to what cleats I need or are they all the same size or universal, and does everyone actually wear cycling shoes? By that I mean some people use alternate footwear for road cycling? Would love it if anyone could give me some info. Many thanks.

Attachments

• BAED62E1-CBBA-4FDE-A435-38BE577B16B3.jpeg
    BAED62E1-CBBA-4FDE-A435-38BE577B16B3.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 6
  • F55991F3-1632-48B6-AB19-784D15288C65.jpeg
    F55991F3-1632-48B6-AB19-784D15288C65.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 6

vickster

Legendary Member
You need 3 bolt cleats and SPD-SL/Look Keo pedals to go with those shoes. Be very careful when walking around off the bike, they stand proud of the shoes and can be very slippery. What pedals do you have?
clipless FAQs here will explain all
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/clipless-pedals-faq.74358/

I use trail funning shoes on my road bikes, I no longer clip in. There’s absolutely no requirement to do so.

I suspect you have normal double sided cage pedals? They don't play well with smooth hard cycling shoes.

They're designed to clip into the pedals and when you buy the pedals the matching cleats come too.

Do you want to be clipped into the pedals?

Nice looking shoes !

If you do go down the clipless way as one of previous posts says be aware of your first usage as first time clipped to the pedals might be a disaster on stopping as you will be attached to the pedals and unclipping can be a little awkward the first few times. But from what you say I think your pedals are flat on both sides and you either need to take shoes back and invest in some training shoes with a bit of a grip on the sole. From what you say I'm getting the impression that your bike is a mountain bike or a hybrid type. Ie straight handlebars and mudguards once again read the post on clipless F A Q hope you get on ok

Mike_P

Guru
As an alternative to the three bolt cleats Shimano sell an adaptor so you can fit two bolt cleats which sit within a surround making walking easier. Downside of the adaptor is that is obviously adds depth to part of the shoe which may in itself pose issues. I use them on size 10 shoes without a problem but could imagine they may be awkward for people with smaller feet. You need matching pedals compatible with the cleats and in the case, at least, of the two bolt MTB system is common that a set of cleats are supplied with the pedals.
IMG_20230226_091940.jpg

If you do go down the clipless way as one of previous posts says be aware of your first usage as first time clipped to the pedals might be a disaster on stopping as you will be attached to the pedals and unclipping can be a little awkward the first few times.
Yes i think we can all remember those moments.:whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
If you do go down the clipless way as one of previous posts says be aware of your first usage as first time clipped to the pedals might be a disaster on stopping as you will be attached to the pedals and unclipping can be a little awkward the first few times. But from what you say I think your pedals are flat on both sides and you either need to take shoes back and invest in some training shoes with a bit of a grip on the sole. From what you say I'm getting the impression that your bike is a mountain bike or a hybrid type. Ie straight handlebars and mudguards once again read the post on clipless F A Q hope you get on ok

He mentions road cycling in the thread title and the opening post :smile: (granted that might be on a flat bar bike)

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh dear Dropped myself in it there!!! :angry:Perhaps I should really be more aware and awake when answering some of the threads.
Perhaps I will await some more post come up and a photo of aforementioned pedals?
I expect they are flats which are perfectly normal on a roadbike too

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Wow. Did this person just buy clipless cycling shoes without ever realising what they were? How is that even possible?

If they did it in a 'brick and mortar' shop, surely someone would have explained how they work. And even if not, surely they would find the hard soles with holes for bolts unusual, at the very least - and try to find out what are they.

When purchasing online, products have descriptions. That would have mentioned the technology and also have photos of the soles with the holes. Again - surely raising some questions.

I'm just baffled how anyone could buy clipless cycling shoes and have, seemingly, absolutely zero idea what they are.

Mike_P

Guru
How come after a lifetime of cycling, this is news to me, every day is a learning day.

https://ride.shimano.com/blogs/technologies/how-to-use-sm-sh41-cleat-adapters

I use SPDs throughout for all shoes and bikes which means for example if I need to I can use my road bike for my short (if hilly) commute wearing my office friendly MTB trainers. The adaptors do wear down so its useful to keep a spare in - annoyingly the last one I swopped looks like it will need swopping again this year.

Top Bottom