New road cycling shoes??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Wow. Did this person just buy clipless cycling shoes without ever realising what they were? How is that even possible?

If they did it in a 'brick and mortar' shop, surely someone would have explained how they work. And even if not, surely they would find the hard soles with holes for bolts unusual, at the very least - and try to find out what are they.

When purchasing online, products have descriptions. That would have mentioned the technology and also have photos of the soles with the holes. Again - surely raising some questions.

I'm just baffled how anyone could buy clipless cycling shoes and have, seemingly, absolutely zero idea what they are.

Really? What a load of tosh. I've never been asked what cleats I have by three different LBSs. I see no reason why the staff would ask me.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
What sort of bike is it? What sort of cycling are you going to be doing? If you are new to cycling, and not set on fast, sporty road riding I would stick to using your existing pedals for now, using trainer type shoes. Put the shoes away for later, or put them on ebay.

freiston

Veteran
Three pages of mostly good stuff but I still feel a need to chip in.

Profpointy covered the different types of cycling shoe in his post.

The three-bolt cleat system ("SPD-SL" - of which your shoes belong to) are usually used by road cyclists that are into competitive cycling. Most cyclists I know, including some hard-nosed road cyclists who put in some serious miles, use the two bolt "SPD" style cleat. The SPD style generally are much easier to walk in, the cleats don't wear out so quickly (especially when walking), tend to have more "float" (the amount of lateral movement without the cleat disengaging - this can make a big difference to comfort) and the range and styles of shoes are much more varied; some look like trainers, I have a pair like walking boots complete with a walking sole. I've never used three-bolt systems but I get the impression that the two-bolt systems tend to be easier to engage and disengage.

Some people use cleated shoes because they want maximum transfer of power throughout their pedal stroke, using stiff shoes and little play - there is some contention over how much benefit cleated shoes actually provide in power transfer but they're the norm in competitive circles.

Some people use cleated shoes (me included) because they like the security and feel of shoes that are not going to lift or slip off the pedal. I'm not bothered about maximum power transfer - I like to spin the pedals with what seems like little effort.

I would advise anyone getting into cycling and wanting to try a cleated shoe, to go with the 2 bolt SPD style (except for serious racing cyclists - but they wouldn't be wanting my advice). It's a shame that you've already bought the 3 bolt shoes - you could use an adapter but as mentioned up-thread, they add considerably to the depth of the sole and are still more problematic for walking in.

Terminology can get confusing: we call the sort of cleated shoe that you clip into the pedal a "clipless" system. This is because in the old days, people used to use toeclips with straps to secure their feet to the pedals - these new-fangled things did away with the clips and so were called clipless. At the time, mountain biking was gaining popularity and riders were not finding it easy to quickly release their shoes from the pedals with clips and straps (if you cinched the strap up, you had to get your hand down to the pedal to knock the buckle to loosen the strap). The 2 bolt Shimano SPD was first on the market and was aimed at the mountain bike crowd. They introduced the 3 bolt system for the road racers. Although many cyclists of various disciplines now use the 2 bolt SPD, the system is still often referred to as a MTB system and the 3 bolt SPD-SL as a road system. This is particularly the case with shoes - many "MTB" shoes are not really MTB specific - they're just 2 bolt SPD specific.

Another confusing part of terminology is the pedal. Some SPD pedals have two clipping mechanisms - one on each side of the pedal, so it doesn't matter which way up the pedal is when you put your foot on it. Such pedals are "double sided". But you can get single sided SPD pedals with a flat or platform on the reverse side for use with non-cleated shoes (even crocs). Some people have come to refer to these pedals as "double sided" because they have two (differently) functioning sides.

As time goes on, more and more people use clipping or clipped to describe clipless pedal systems, and more and more people refer to single-sided SPD pedals as double sided. I even do it myself sometimes (if I didn't, some conversations would get really confusing).

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The three bolt system was already in existance long before Shimano did their own road shoes. Look introduced it.

As said above, general riding, SPD is best as you get loads of shoes and can walk in them. I have SPD on two bikes and Look road pedals on the road bikes. The most walking I do with road shoes is getting the bike out of the garage. I'll usually go out to the garage in slippers, then put the road shoes on. You just wreck the cleat, and they are slippy to walk in.

Venod

Eh up
The 2 bolt Shimano SPD was first on the market
That's not correct, I was using 3 bolt Look pedals in the early 80s long before Shimano 2 bolt system.

but I get the impression that the two-bolt systems tend to be easier to engage and disengage.
I find the opposite, I used the 3 bolt system for many years, I now use 2 bolt system SPD on all my bikes, all double sided pedals, very easy to use.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Most cyclists I know, including some hard-nosed road cyclists who put in some serious miles, use the two bolt "SPD" style cleat. The SPD style generally are much easier to walk in, the cleats don't wear out so quickly (especially when walking), tend to have more "float" (the amount of lateral movement without the cleat disengaging - this can make a big difference to comfort) and the range and styles of shoes are much more varied; some look like trainers, I have a pair like walking boots complete with a walking sole.

Yep. 2 bolt SPD for the MTB, the 'best' carbon sunny day bike and for the commute bike. One shoe to rule them all......

And....... at the stop/starts, junctions, traffic lights etc, while the roadie type shoe folks are faffing around trying to clip in to their 'fast' road type one sided pedals you will always find me yards down the road chuckling to myself as I quickly disappear into the distance..... :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

freiston

Veteran
The three bolt system was already in existance long before Shimano did their own road shoes. Look introduced it.
That's not correct, I was using 3 bolt Look pedals in the early 80s long before Shimano 2 bolt system.
I am aware that the Look 3 bolt system predates the Shimano 2 bolt system but I was (obviously not clearly enough) talking specifically about Shimano and SPD (Shimano Pedalling Dynamics)/SPD-SL. I think it fair to say that the Shimano systems are the ones that had the widest mainstream impact.

According to Wikipedia, Charles Hanson invented the first clipless pedal in 1895 (Perfecting the Clipless Pedal". Velo News. Inside Communications, Inc. 36 (5): 60. 2007) and Cinelli had one in 1971. Look's pedal is from 1984 whereas Shimano's SPDs came out in 1990 (EDIT: but after reading the article linked above, it says 1993). I didn't start using them until 1997, having used toe clips since the 70s.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shimano started out using a licensed Look Delta pedal - I had their Dura Ace toe straps, then the DA Look pedal, but got rid as the system initially had no float. Went back to Look once the 'red' cleat came in.

Top Bottom