New road sign.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

New sign appeared on our rural road today. FROST DAMAGED SURFACE. and its a permanent one. Probably cheaper to errect than fix the road. One comming to you area soon?.....Probably.:biggrin::smile:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
What's wrong with big tyres anyway?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hmm they have been resurfacing a couple of roads near me... one's been done with smooth tarmac on a hill and is an absolute delight to bomb down.

The others are when they put that tarmac covered with gravel. I turned onto the hill last week immediately after they had done it and about to wizz down when I realised and had to crawl down instead.

What gets me about that type of resurfacing is when they cover over the pothole too so now it blends in much better but its still there waiting to catch you out:angry:.

As you can see below they haven't sorted out a puddle that forms on that road either:

300bcib.jpg

33xvmnl.jpg

Maizie

Veteran
summerdays said:
The others are when they put that tarmac covered with gravel.
They are doing that around my way, it seems rather pointless. Just cover up the existing bumpy mess with a layer of new stuff, doesn't actually improve the surface although I suppose it might make the holes a bit less steep at the edges. And as you say, cunningly hides them so you don't see them but of course you still feel them.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Maizie said:
They are doing that around my way, it seems rather pointless. Just cover up the existing bumpy mess with a layer of new stuff, doesn't actually improve the surface although I suppose it might make the holes a bit less steep at the edges. And as you say, cunningly hides them so you don't see them but of course you still feel them.

Same here, its a nasty gravely mess that cars flick up as they pass you :o)

mark i

They used the tar and chip fix on a road near me. I think that the reason that they do it is that they can say that they have repaired x miles of road and meet some sort of target. A bit like painting white lines 12" off the curb and calling it a cycle lane. It got worse near me. The pot holes were not filled by the stuff and actually got worse, so they then had to come and fill the holes properly...... They would have been better off preparing the road surface properly and then re-surfacing, would have lasted better.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Edinburgh would bankrupt itself paying for all the signs it'd need to put up at the moment.

(They've still not been able to afford to sweep the pavements of the 'fake salt' they put down last winter, so they're still covered in a layer of sharp little stones).

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The tar-and-chippings thing does serve some purpose: it makes roads grippier - at least for wide, flat car tyres. As tarmac wears out, the surface becomes polished and slippery.

It's no fun to ride on though.

A few years back now, our council put up a temporary sign announcing a temporary road surface. It wasn't temporary, it was knackered then and with no work it's still knackered now. The sign got buried in the vegetation on the verge. In the second summer after it was put there, a farmer tore it to bits with his flail mower as he cut the verge: he couldn't see it. The wreckage is still there, and so are most of the potholes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mix of tar and loose gravel, and proper repairs in less than a half mile in Cheadle (Stockport). Only seem to be repairing major junctions, not the roads in between.

Top Bottom