New roadie; what computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
So, having added this road bike to my stable:

DSC00487.JPG

I need to know how far and how fast.
I have the basic Cateye Velo Wireless on my tourer and I do like it.
Tells me how far, how fast, average and max.
But now I'm on this speedy beast do I need anything more? Don't wanna spend a fortune but I'd be interested to hear views from others.
Cheers
Geoff

So, having added this road bike to my stable:

View attachment 45184

I need to know how far and how fast.
I have the basic Cateye Velo Wireless on my tourer and I do like it.
Tells me how far, how fast, average and max.
But now I'm on this speedy beast do I need anything more? Don't wanna spend a fortune but I'd be interested to hear views from others.
Cheers
Geoff
All depends what you want from it, all computers will give you distance, time and speeds. Do you want to track where you have been, do you want to record cadence and H.R. I have a Bryton Rider 20 that is capable of recording everything, though its display in use is a bit limited at any given time to just speed and two other fields i.e. cad and HR, time distance, but any combinations of them but always shows speed to me its a flaw but most it wouldn't be a problem, the Garmin 200 has a basic mapping you can follow but no Cadence or H.R. both the lower end of the GPS recording, the rider 20 can be got cheaper than the 200, both can be got £100 or less. ( I got my rider for £45, but I already had the HR ans cad sensors) I think you can pick up for around the £65 mark at the moment. Though newer 21 I think is a better unit.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nope.

If you're happy with the Cateye, which you say you are, then just get another one for the Cube, or just get a second bike kit like THIS so you can easily swap your existing computer between bikes.
What he said , if you dont need to track where you have been etc then theres nothing wrong with it.
All depends what you want from it, all computers will give you distance, time and speeds. Do you want to track where you have been, do you want to record cadence and H.R. I have a Bryton Rider 20 that is capable of recording everything, though its display in use is a bit limited at any given time to just speed and two other fields i.e. cad and HR, time distance, but any combinations of them but always shows speed to me its a flaw but most it wouldn't be a problem, the Garmin 200 has a basic mapping you can follow but no Cadence or H.R. both the lower end of the GPS recording, the rider 20 can be got cheaper than the 200, both can be got £100 or less. ( I got my rider for £45, but I already had the HR ans cad sensors) I think you can pick up for around the £65 mark at the moment. Though newer 21 I think is a better unit.
I use a garmin 200 as i like to upload where i have been especially on long rides to strava which i use to track my rides , the KOM stuff is fun but not the bee all and end all.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Cat eye stealth 50!!!!

tudor_77

Über Member
Wow, nice bike dude. Always had a soft spot for Cube. I used to have two cateye velo 7's on my two bikes and just swapped the one computer back and forth as needed (keeping the other for a spare). Hope you enjoy riding that beast!

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I might be a bit late, but if you already have a Satmap, why not just get another bike mount for the new bike?
No its not too late pal. I have mounts on both my tourer & MTB and might well do that but for now I'm trying to concentrate on keeping the weight down (the bike, not me, cos since losing 2 stone last year I am, to quote Terry Wogan, " built like a racing snake" ish).
Cheers

Top Bottom