New rolling stock between Liverpool & Manchester - anyone know the plans?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Referring to the "Southern Route" between Liverpool and Manchester via Warrington Central & Birchwood &c. In other words, not the recently electrified line (the "Northern Route").

On this line the local, Northern Rail, trains ("The Rattlers") are really handy when travelling with the bicycle; there's no need to book and there is usually plenty of room in the bicycle bays (especially on the widely disliked "Sprinters").

Chatting to the guard on a service yesterday he said there were plans to introduce "better" four car trains on the line but those cars will not have as much bicycle accommodation and pre- booking will be required.

Does anyone have any facts? I can't find anything online.

classic33

Leg End Member
Northern Rail are keeping their no booking required rule, but on a four car unit the maximum remains the same. Two per train.

Travelling during peak periods with a bike, folders included, is something they are looking to stop.

OP
OP
MossCommuter
Northern Rail are keeping their no booking required rule, but on a four car unit the maximum remains the same. Two per train.

Travelling during peak periods with a bike, folders included, is something they are looking to stop.
I hope that effectively means no change (I think technically there is a two bicycle limit already despite many trains carrying more).

Thanks

Top Bottom