New shed roof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I made the mistake of using plastic corrogated sheets on my shed roof and now, a few years on, the plastic is breaking up so I need to replace it. I will use metal sheets this time so that's my project for the summer.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've used corrugated aluminium sheets before. You really can't go far wrong as long as you follow the manufacturer's fixing and overlap guidelines and use decent quality washered screws. It's worth hiring a professional quality rivet tool for stitching adjacent sheets together. If done decently, the roofs don't leak and last for decades.

at HD we cary 2 levels of quality/thickness corrugated plastic roofing. maybe the ticker would have been better? but we also carry corrugated metal roofing. will you miss having the translucent light or did you have the dark opaque plastic?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’ve used Wickes bitumen sheets for my summer house and a shed. I was able to lay mine on top of the original felted board. They’re really easy to work with but considerably heavier than corrugated plastic, so you would need to be sure the roof has a suitable support structure.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
at HD we cary 2 levels of quality/thickness corrugated plastic roofing. maybe the ticker would have been better? but we also carry corrugated metal roofing. will you miss having the translucent light or did you have the dark opaque plastic?
It is clear corrugated plastic but I also put up a false ceiling so light did not matter, a window sees to that.

Drago

Legendary Member
My neighbours conservatory is coming down apina few weeks, and im pinching the polycarbonate double glazed roof panels to give a posh new roof on my garden shed.

johnblack

Über Member
A mate is replacing my current felt roof with new boards and finished with a fibreglass treatment, might even outlast me.

I just demolished a 1985 vintage shed with a roof of mixed plastic and metal cortugated sheets. No leaks, they dont make em like they used to.

Top Bottom