New Shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
I've posted the following message on the 'kit' forum but it may be better if I pop it in here as there always seem to be loads of people reading JOGLE forum.......

Hi,

I'm in training for a JOGLE attempt early Sept and I've done 1300 miles wearing Altura Pro Gel shorts which I find are pretty good but I need MORE padding, my 'bum bones' :0 are feeling the strain and making the long rides pretty uncomfortable.

Can anyone please recommend a pair that are well padded, max budget £50.00, I'd be forever grateful to sort this issue!

Many thanks

Barbelier

I've posted the following message on the 'kit' forum but it may be better if I pop it in here as there always seem to be loads of people reading JOGLE forum.......

Hi,

I'm in training for a JOGLE attempt early Sept and I've done 1300 miles wearing Altura Pro Gel shorts which I find are pretty good but I need MORE padding, my 'bum bones' :0 are feeling the strain and making the long rides pretty uncomfortable.

Can anyone please recommend a pair that are well padded, max budget £50.00, I'd be forever grateful to sort this issue!

Many thanks

I'm doing the same but starting out a bit later on 9th September. I use the the same shorts (or at least the liner from them) and have done about 1100 miles in them.
The best thing I ever did was to get a Brooks saddle, and after a very short breaking in period, the saddle has moulded to my sit bones and I've had no problem with the undercarriage since. I don't know what saddle you have, but the solution may not be more padding?

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Hello again Barbelier!

You may have hit the nail on the head, it may be the saddle. Looked at the brooks, a little pricey for me.......... Wonder if anyone else could recommend a comfy saddle?

StuartG

slower but further
Looked at the brooks, a little pricey for me.......... Wonder if anyone else could recommend a comfy saddle?
Got a new Brooks last year relegating its 30 year old predecessor to my hack bike.
£60 when you may be spending at least 10 to 30 times that amount on what doesn't touch your body is not a lot. It will be you most intimate friend and a difference between a smile and a grimace on the face at the end of a long ride ...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Thanks Stuart, a point well made, which Brooks saddle would you recommend I'm happy to have a look in to it.............

That £50 you wanted to spend on a pair of shorts? Spend it on a Brooks B17 instead.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
I refer back to manonabike who recommended the 'charge spoon', I've just read through 9 pages of excellent reviews on 'Evans' website, think I'm gonna plump for this in the morning. Is anybody using it at the mo, or can anybody talk me out of it...............

StuartG

slower but further
Thanks Stuart, a point well made, which Brooks saddle would you recommend I'm happy to have a look in to it.............
Depends on the shape of your b*m and your natural riding position. If you ride with the saddle higher than the bars then the narrow would probably be the natural choice. If you are more of a 'sit up & beg' rider than the standard (wider) version may be the better choice. There are other more expensive versions but I'd check out those two first.

Oh and I think this saddle shaping itself to your body is a load of poppycock. With a Brooks I'm certain it shapes your body to fit it. Brooks is a Dominatrix! Hence the short sharp experience of being broken in. Once done hopefully you will be friends for life. I chose Black for practical reasons but the Tan looks gorgeous.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Personally the brooks was a little pricey for me so I went for the Charge Spoon which was fitted last night. Did a 90 today and ca't believe what a difference it made, really comfortable if a little hard for the first 5 miles!

As I posted on other threads the very best £24.99 I've spent on kit, made all the difference.

Top Bottom