New Spa Ti Elan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
As some of you will have read on another thread I have recently had a minI tour in North Yorkshire. I spent the final day visiting Spa Cycles in Harrogate. Which was great in every respect except financially!

I have ridden a Ti Spa Audax for the last 5 years which is really lovely ride. It works best with 25 mm tyres and 28s with guards, so it is a bit limited to tarmac and shakes through the potholes a bit. I’ve hankered after something I can use with confidence on the tiny single track roads in the Dales, Lakes and Bowland where I do my riding and even venture up forest roads on occasion. The Spa Elan Mk2 ticks all the boxes being available in Ti, my favourite frame material, take up to 45 mm tyres under guards and have hydraulic disc brakes. The latter are completely new to me but I’ve read good stuff about them.

The Spa shop is a curious place on a fairly scruffy industrial estate. The complete antithesis to the boutique bike shops that have sprung up elsewhere. Fortunately the staff are very knowledgeable and the range of touring bikes as good as anywhere. I had a test ride on their Elan MK 2 ‘Hope special’. It was a very solid ride with the big 38 mm gravel tyres and more trail than the audax, making it hold its line well. By the time I’d got to Ripley my mind was made up to buy an Elan. I’ve gone for a 54 cm which is the same as my audax.

I spent a pleasant half hour talking options with them. It looks like being a gravel bike build with Shimano grx group set and hydraulic disc brakes. Chain rings 46 and 30. Advice from Spa was they felt this worked together better than a TD2 option that I currently use. They suggested 11-34 cassette although I might change my mind and go for 11-40. it seems there is a trade off between having a very low gear and some big steps. A 30 x 40 option would give a very low 20” gear. The 30 x 34 option would be 24”, 2” bigger bottom gear than I currently have which would be psychologically troubling in this hilly part of the country. Decisions, decisions!

More to come as the purchase progresses.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice decision
Pictures please once it arrives

OP
OP
G

geocycle

Legendary Member
Nice decision
Pictures please once it arrives
Absolutely, they are rather photogenic to my eyes at least. I’ve been boring folk on the ‘your ride today’ thread with pictures of the audax so I’m sure the elan will eventually feature as well.

ETA will be 4 weeks. My plan is to ride the elan through the winter taking advantage of the big tyres and discs then make a decision on what to do with the audax come next summer.

All uphill

Still rolling along
As some of you will have read on another thread I have recently had a minI tour in North Yorkshire. I spent the final day visiting Spa Cycles in Harrogate. Which was great in every respect except financially!

I have ridden a Ti Spa Audax for the last 5 years which is really lovely ride. It works best with 25 mm tyres and 28s with guards, so it is a bit limited to tarmac and shakes through the potholes a bit. I’ve hankered after something I can use with confidence on the tiny single track roads in the Dales, Lakes and Bowland where I do my riding and even venture up forest roads on occasion. The Spa Elan Mk2 ticks all the boxes being available in Ti, my favourite frame material, take up to 45 mm tyres under guards and have hydraulic disc brakes. The latter are completely new to me but I’ve read good stuff about them.

The Spa shop is a curious place on a fairly scruffy industrial estate. The complete antithesis to the boutique bike shops that have sprung up elsewhere. Fortunately the staff are very knowledgeable and the range of touring bikes as good as anywhere. I had a test ride on their Elan MK 2 ‘Hope special’. It was a very solid ride with the big 38 mm gravel tyres and more trail than the audax, making it hold its line well. By the time I’d got to Ripley my mind was made up to buy an Elan. I’ve gone for a 54 cm which is the same as my audax.

I spent a pleasant half hour talking options with them. It looks like being a gravel bike build with Shimano grx group set and hydraulic disc brakes. Chain rings 46 and 30. Advice from Spa was they felt this worked together better than a TD2 option that I currently use. They suggested 11-34 cassette although I might change my mind and go for 11-40. it seems there is a trade off between having a very low gear and some big steps. A 30 x 40 option would give a very low 20” gear. The 30 x 34 option would be 24”, 2” bigger bottom gear than I currently have which would be psychologically troubling in this hilly part of the country. Decisions, decisions!

More to come as the purchase progresses.

My Spa has 46/30 along with 11-40.

Great for ventures over into Devon!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Congratulations on a very good choice of new bike.

My Elan originally came with a standard 50/34 and 11-34 but I converted it earlier this year to a 1x set-up with a 42 front ring and an 11-28 cassette. But I don't live anywhere near as hilly as you do!

GuyBoden

Guru
My Ti Spa Sabbath Silk Route has V brakes, 35mm tyres with mudguards and I've had 45mm tyres without mudguards for off road adventures. A very versatile bike, if a bit too heavy.

24-34-44t front triple, 11-42t rear cassette. XT MTB rear derailleur.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Spa shop is a curious place on a fairly scruffy industrial estate. The complete antithesis to the boutique bike shops that have sprung up elsewhere. Fortunately the staff are very knowledgeable and the range of touring bikes as good as anywhere.

I agree Spa is unique in the cycling world.

One either gets on with them or not.

A few years ago I fell into a long and wide-ranging conversation with the owner.

He was rather 'Daily Mail', which didn't bother me, but would have been offensive to many on here.

Back to cycling, there have been many complaints online about the staff telling buyers what they want.

The alternative view is they are simply sharing their knowledge.

More importantly, you won't find a wider range of touring/audax style bikes, which hardly feature in most other shops.

Spa test rides are also unmatched elsewhere 'bring it back when you've finished with it'.

You also get a custom build for ready made money.

Which tends to result in a satisfied customer.

Good morning,

They have this in their clearance section https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s221p5045/SPA-CYCLES-CKT-C-RV-Carbon-Sportif-Ultegra-11spd-Clearance-Model-(Ex-Display)-One-Only

spa1.png

This is not what I normally think of when someone mentions SPA, and only £1,500, 54cm.

What an uber sexy winter commute, please someone do me favour and buy it, otherwise I can see a rash purchase being made. The only downside is a press fit BB but a few beers and I might convince myself that it will be better this time.:laugh:

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Good morning,

They have this in their clearance section https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s221p5045/SPA-CYCLES-CKT-C-RV-Carbon-Sportif-Ultegra-11spd-Clearance-Model-(Ex-Display)-One-Only

View attachment 704047

This is not what I normally think of when someone mentions SPA, and only £1,500, 54cm.

What an uber sexy winter commute, please someone do me favour and buy it, otherwise I can see a rash purchase being made. The only downside is a press fit BB but a few beers and I might convince myself that it will be better this time.:laugh:

Bye

Ian

Bleurgh… the frame, the colour, the wheels, the black tape! xx(

All uphill

Still rolling along
I agree Spa is unique in the cycling world.

One either gets on with them or not.

A few years ago I fell into a long and wide-ranging conversation with the owner.

He was rather 'Daily Mail', which didn't bother me, but would have been offensive to many on here.

Back to cycling, there have been many complaints online about the staff telling buyers what they want.

The alternative view is they are simply sharing their knowledge.

More importantly, you won't find a wider range of touring/audax style bikes, which hardly feature in most other shops.

Spa test rides are also unmatched elsewhere 'bring it back when you've finished with it'.

You also get a custom build for ready made money.

Which tends to result in a satisfied customer.

I told them what I thought I wanted.

They told me what I really wanted.

They were right.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
My Elan Ti 2 has Shimano 105 with a GRX 48- 31 chainset and 11- 32 on the rear . I would have had the GRX 600 with 46-30 but that was not available with 175 cranks . As for the Hydraulic discs , I definitely notice the difference when I go back to dual pivot rim brakes .
I agree with your comments about the Spa shop , not one of those velo boutiques with an artisan coffee shop attached.

OP
OP
G

geocycle

Legendary Member
@Juan Kog even the offer of a Nescafé would have been nice!

@All uphill so, is your experience of the 11-40 cassette notch’s with big jumps on the road? Spa steered me to the 11-34 for mainly road use but aim not convinced given my positive use of very low gears around here. I imagine thee are similarities to Devon In terms of hills.

Top Bottom