New specialized Tarmac announced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Ooh look a new plastic bike.
It looks like all the other plastic bikes, doesn't it?

fossala

Guru
Make the kids save for their own deposit - i saved for mine and never once expected my parents to do so.

Then you can buy the bike
I guess that was when it was an attainable goal. My father bought his house for 1/4 of what it is worth now, that was only 12 years ago.

So want to go and order one but just can't justify it. I would be interested to see how it differs from the SL4 given the tech angle on the frame geometry.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I guess that was when it was an attainable goal. My father bought his house for 1/4 of what it is worth now, that was only 12 years ago.
It was 20yrs ago and i was only 18 and in my first year of full time employment in a factory. Deposit was 10% the value of thebuild back then, which was 5k.

As an 18yr old to save that money rather spend it on alcohol like the rest of my mates was pretty tough.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The rear axle stuff on the disc model sounds like the design and engineering solution to a problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place. The marketing people are presumably OK with locking people into Spesh branded kit... What they've done is come up with something that won't work perfectly with any other road disc wheelset- pretty much every other disc-braked road bike, including the Roubaix Disc, takes 135mm rear hubs of some description. If you do run a third-party wheelset on a Tarmac Disc you need a new derailleur hanger (?!!) and risk shifting problems if you ever cross big/big gears (and though people shouldn't, people do...).
So: If you have a Tarmac Disc and another disc bike, even another Spesh, you won't be able to share wheelsets unless you have time and the necessary parts. No quick swapping of your really nice race wheels for the weekend, or because you've punctured. 3rd parties will have to do specific Tarmac components if they want them to work properly on these frames- and they probably won't. If/when the UCI allows disc brakes for racing, that's yet another headache for neutral service crews and even Spesh teams (if, as on some events like spring classics, some riders are running different frames).
Storck and Colnago seem to have managed to make race bikes without this palaver......

Top Bottom