New Spin Bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoJo2206

I'm looking at getting a new spin bike, budget of around £800. Wanting one which can connect to my phone & apps like zwift. Any recommendations please? I'm confusing myself by looking at so many. Thank you.

Dan77

£800 is unlikely to get you a smart spin bike. You'll be missing out on resistance changes that simulate gradient and help with training programmes.

The Wattbike Atom is £1900. A lot of money but much better suited to things like Zwift. They are offering 0% APR if that appeals. It's a lot cheaper than the Wahoo Kickr bike (which does look better but yeah ££££).

Why are you looking for a spin bike though? I wanted the Wattbike but was put off by the 16 week lead time last year. I would have needed to buy a road bike too. Instead I decided to spend more money on a better road bike and a smart turbo trainer. I now have the option to ride indoors or outdoors on a really good bike. All I have to to do is take the bike off the trainer and put the back wheel on, then I'm away. I'm glad I made that decision.

Only a few of these indoor bikes control resistance. Of those, one I believe is unavailable and all are a lot of money.
https://support.zwift.com/en_us/indoor-bikes-rkRxp7Zgr

I bought a 2nd hand Schwinn, a decent German brand but nothing fancy in terms of connectivity, just a regular heavy flywheel and manual control. I paid €300.

To that i use power meter pedals which were any way on my road bike, i just swap them over for my midweek indoor rides and then back on the road bike for the WE.

In my mind i have what i need to follow my training programs on Training Peaks, easy dial in resistance and totally repeatable. My bike is set up in my office, i can jump on it and start a session in less than 5mins vs a Turbo that would need much more time and space, and of course a lot less dosh than a high end Wattbike or Pooton:laugh:

I'd be looking for a second hand bike and power meter pedals too.

You won't get the resistance controlled by Zwift etc but I don't think that's such a bad thing.

Plenty of great workouts to be had without the need to always be changing gear.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you own a cycle now, a turbo would be better. £800 will buy a high end unit. This will be automatically variable resistance for gradients, in-built accurate power meter. Use a tablet/laptop to connect to Zwift etc

Top Bottom