new suspension forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IceBlue24

im not too well up on the technical terms so bear with me. my friend wants to upgrade her suspension forks to fit front disc brakes. can anyone recommend which ones to go for? is the top bit of the fork a universal fit or do we have to take off the old fork and measure up first? would it also be possible to fit new front hubs to fit the discs or would we have to get new wheels? many thanks in advance

Depends on how much she wants to spend on a set of forks, 50 to over a 1000 pounds?

Chainreactioncycles have a Fox 32 F80 RL 2009 for 350 which isn't a bad price for a good fork.

The top bit, which I guess you mean steerer tube, usually comes extra long so any additional tube will need to be cut off. And the width of the tube is dependent on the bike's dimensions and could be 1" 1.25" or 1.5" across. Yea, measure the old one first.

You can switch out the hubs and keep the old rims, but I would guess it would be cheaper just to buy new wheels.

How old is the bike? You may need to also look at stem compatability as well. You need to find out whether the bike has a quill stem or aheadset.

OP
OP
I

IceBlue24

thanks for your reply.

i think she's going for something in the 2nd hand market, namely ebay. :biggrin: so we're looking for a fork around the £20 to £50 mark. the shock doesnt have to have loads of travel and as long as its got the disc mount bolts its cool.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Be very careful with second hand forks more so if suspension,
why are they selling them ?
Because it’s an up grade
Yeah right there knacked
And if they are, hand in the pocket from day one for a full service

Top Bottom