New to clipless, SPD, SPD-SL or Look for a new roadie...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Sorry to bore you with this question, but can you decide for me?

Just got my first road bike, a Boardman Comp which i'm starting to get to grips with. But I'm indecisive on the pedals. I'm a bit paranoid about getting a knee injury as well.

The bike has standard Shimano SPD pedals (similar to these). I was going to buy some cleats and some shoes, but I heard that SPD's have a tendancy to mess with your knees. And the shoe's to too clunky for my liking.

So was looking to get a pair of Looks or SPD-SL's. Are these worth the extra over SPD's? Do they have more float? I hear alot of people swear by Look, but i dunno.

What you think?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Do you do much walking? If you do virtually no walking when out and about on the bike then get Looks.

SPDs are fine, just you can't get as much power down.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
nosherduke996 said:
I agree with the above, Look are fine but be prepared to change the cleats on a regular basis.
- and it is worth spending the extra and buying the Look 'Grip' cleats. The standard ones can be very slippery on the some surfaces.

lukesdad

I d go for the look keo easy for your first ones you can get them for about £29 on ebay with postage. Get the cleats with max float should come with pedals if your worried about your knees.

I recently upgraded and looking around it became a toss up between Time RXS (various models) and Shimano (PD-R540's and above).The former were praised for being kinder to the knees in quite a few reviews (largely down to the amount of float)but had a few problems with the front piece breaking off. Shimano are pretty much bomb-proof although the pd r540's (aka 105's) are very heavy - with yellow cleats you get 3% float..

Personally I bought a pair of second hand Ultegra's off e-Bay (£25) to try out and they were fine,so I then upgraded to Dura Ace again second hand (£50) and they were a bit smoother and lighter but not to any great extent.

If you buy second hand Shimano all you need do is check that the foot plate is not too worn and ask if there is any play in the axle -if there is even a tiny bit walk away.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
SPD-SL vs look vs time is basically a draw when it comes to the mechanisum as they are built from the same model. BUT they each have different merits.

SPD-SL, look and time all beat SPD if you ask me.

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

I think I would be doing a bit of walking in them. Not specifically, but If i went shopping, then I dont think I'd be arsed to change my shoes.

But Look's with cleat covers - are they bearable to walk in?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
But Look's with cleat covers - are they bearable to walk in? - no, IMO - I use the cleat covers more to protect the cleats than for serious walking! I don't think you could really do a supermarket shop in them. Aren't they also known as 'cafe covers'? - which gives an indication of their usefulness.

redjedi

Über Member
I've never had a problem waddling around the shops in them. Perhaps having big (size 12) feet makes a difference.

But I wouldn't take the dog for a walk in them.

If you are doing some good long rides then they are worth getting.

I'd recommend Speedplay Zeros for float, adjustability, ease of entry and knee friendliness. I find the cleats easier to walk in than Look but I think I'm unusual in that respect. They are expensive though.

Top Bottom