New to cycling- best features in a bike

Which is the best brand of bike for beginner riders?

• Trek

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Schwinn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Takara

• GMC

• BNC

• Cannondale

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OutdoorEdge

Hello all,

I have recently started taking cycling more seriously from just riding around town to riding on trails and for longer periods of time. I want to upgrade from my Schwinn but have no idea where to start are what bike companies to look at since their are so many. I want a bike that rides well on the roads and well on semi-tough terrain trails. I definitely want something comfortable since I will be riding for long periods of time and am also considering starting to commute by bike as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Go to a bike shop, tell them your requirements, test ride the options.

Repeat in several bike shops.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Go to a bike shop, tell them your requirements, test ride the options.

Repeat in several bike shops.
This ^^^^^
I think you need a clear idea of what the bike needs to be used for: Road/paths/off-road, mudgaurds/winter use, luggage carrying, distance, speed, transportation etc.
Then trawl bike shops for opinions. Test-ride a few
Then come here for a sense check.

Tojo

Über Member
I agree with the comments, but be aware that once you decide on one bike be it road or MTB and maybe others you will end up with one of each after the first one and upgrades and not want to get rid of your trusty old steed, the cars on the street and the garage is full of bikes .......Addiction:wacko:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My personal preference is for a quality steel frame and probably a Hybrid/Adventure style of bike with my own 'most ridden' bike being a Ridgeback Adventure that has a Tange CrMo steel frame but that is most likely down to its 'do it all' nature.

vickster

Legendary Member
Also, are you in the US, some of the brands are unfamiliar in the UK (where most forum members are located)?

@Gravity Aided might have an opinion on the likes of GMC & Takara

teddydove

Hello all,

I have recently started taking cycling more seriously from just riding around town to riding on trails and for longer periods of time. I want to upgrade from my Schwinn but have no idea where to start are what bike companies to look at since their are so many. I want a bike that rides well on the roads and well on semi-tough terrain trails. I definitely want something comfortable since I will be riding for long periods of time and am also considering starting to commute by bike as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
The choice these days is vast.....go for the best frame with your hard earned cash and upgrade parts when cash flow allows.....wheels are the biggest improvement to a bikes performance....happy riding...

ChrisEyles

Guru
As others have said, test ride a few different bikes and you'll get a better idea of what sort of bike will be best for you.

I've always ridden old steel framed ten speeds, and recently tried out a few different types of bikes when I was shopping for a new commuter. There is a huge range of variation in handling, comfort etc, all of which will vary according to personal preference.

As a bonus plus, if you do go test riding a few different bikes, I bet you'll enjoy it :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
as advised already, be less worried about the name and more that you understand how different bikes work on different surfaces and will fit your requirements.

Superficially you sound like you're asking for a cycle cross type bike - leggy on roads and capable on trails. Although for commuting you may well end up wanting mudguards so as not to be too mucky after a wet ride in & panniers for carrying clothes, lunch etc so consider little things like frame clearance for guards, does it have eyelets to take guards and a rack etc.

You're best off going to more than one 'proper' bike shop with a good range in stock and have a few test rides and see what feels comfortable & fits you properly, then go from there.

Ciar

Veteran
Save yourself the pain, buy two one for the road/commute and one purely for off road, from personal experience I have two the commuter, fixed regularly and has been upgraded made purely for riding to and from work, mudguards so on so forth and it barely needs maintenance.

where as my MTB which is used lots be it XC trails single track of even a bit o downhill in wales, has had plenty done to it, upgrades replacements, mostly wear and tear due to weather and use, but by having two bikes it allows me to ride them both how i would prefer.

if your only intending to ride fire roads and canals and the likes then a hybrid/cx will probably suit.

but as other posters have said go try various shops and bikes don't just buy the first thing you see.

not that it matters as soon as your into cycling N+1 will apply in no time at all ;-)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello. Welcome to the forum. :welcome:. The best bike is the one that you like above and beyond all the other bikes that you try. As others have said, go to your LBS and try a few. What bike suits one, wont suit another. And have a fitting as well.

Top Bottom