New to cycling - Best phone app/Holder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunja99

Hi all. During lockdown I started to use an old "hybrid" falcon bike I had and enjoyed it so much acquired a B,TWIN Triban Road bike at the weekend second hand. In very good condition. Have been on a very steep learning curve over last week or two learning the terminology of bikes, etc!

I am a long time and competent runner (8-9) and have completed a lot of marathons, etc and have a Garmin 945 tri watch with the advanced HRM. I love stats! I will probably end up with an edge computer, and am quite into the Garmin ecosystem (though linked to the Strava too). I started running with my phone before investing in the watch.

I want to use my phone for now mainly for navigation, and was wondering what are the best apps for route planning and navigation, I've read reports Strava doesn't always work well, so what recommendations people have? My watch does do navigation, and might look into the adaptors to put it on the bars, but that might be a PITA keep swapping the straps for day to day wearing and also it's a small display, but it might be OK. With the chest strap I dont need it on my wrist to measure that (I love my stats and HR monitoring). Have just got a cadence sensor.

So the tracking from the app doesn't need to be great (will record on the watch), it's mainly the navigation, with speed, cadence, etc, etc displayed (assume a cadence sensor can feed my phone (Samsung S7 Edge with ANT+ in) and watch at same time).

Sure will have loads of questions, and browsing this forum over the last few weeks has been really helpful, so thought would sign up!

Completed 2 x 25 mile rides so far, but looking for better/more interesting routes!

Gunja

PaulSB

Legendary Member
RidewithGPS will do the job for you. If you decide to buy a navigation device opt for a Wahoo, far superior to a Garmin.

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Thanks for that Paul. Would a wahoo link OK with my garmin data? Though am a little while off buying a bike computer, and garmin would be my first choice due to being in their ecosystem :smile:

My workmate suggested I put my watch on the handle bars for now, but how do you get turn by turn navigation. It might not work great, but hey I've got a £500+ watch which is great for running. I did a 5k run last night navigating a route I've done a million times, but it doesn't do turn by turn. I believe you have to create the course on garmins own route creator?

Been a while since I've played with GPX, FIT files, etc (I am quite computer literate BTW, I'm a programmer by trade) :smile:

Top Bottom