New to Cycling- got myself a used Singlespeed from Foffa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

justcycle

Hey there,

I´m absolutely new here. Since the start of the corona pandemic, I wasn't able to go to the gym. This threw me kinda in a deep hole. I just wasn't able to get myself motivated for some sport. And my office job didn't help either. So I decided to start cycling, since I live close to Hamburg and have some nice places around me.
I got myself a used Foffa Bike in pretty decent shape for a low budget. I was looking for a light and fast bike. But since I didn't wanted to spent more then 150-200€, there weren't plenty of bikes to choose from. And the problem ist also, if you try to buy a used one, most bikes in that range are often in pretty bad shape. So I was more than happy to find the Foffa Singlespeed. I found a couple threads on here and the reputations aren't really good. But for me, its a pretty nice bike to start with. I took it already for a couple rides and I'm quite satisfied with it. It's not the lightest bike, but in that price range, I think it's ok. As far as I could find out, the bike was manufactured in 2015. The frame should be out of chromo? steel. Handling is quit nice and its riding smooth and quiet. The fact that it's Singlespeed doesn't bother me. I think its cool, since maintenance is very easy. The guy I bought it from, told me, I should change the tires. They still have plenty of profile, but they are still stock and the rubber might be already too old. What do you guys think? Do I have to change them? They are 700x28c. Do you have any suggestions, which ones I should get?

For now this will be my bike to get back in shape and just enjoy the purity in driving a bicycle with no extra features.

Greets
Eddy

IMG_1014.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Welcome to cycle chat. Single speeds are fun as long as you get it set up with a gear that can cope with the ups and downs. If you were to use a fixed gear, you will find that it is the descents that hurt more than the climbs!

The only thing I would change, would be to replace the brake levers with some bar end TT levers. These are fairly cheap. The reason being that when you are fast cornering or fast descending, you will be holding the ends of the bars and not very close to the brake levers. Drop bars would give you even better control at high speed manoeuvres.

Good luck

carpiste

Guru
:welcome::bicycle: That`s a cool looking bike! I haven`t ridden a single speed, which I built myself as a kid, for about 45 or so years! Tires and tubes are pretty cheap to replace and as Sharky said I`d look at changing the brake levers. Other than that I`d say enjoy it ^_^

OP
OP
justcycle

justcycle

Welcome to cycle chat. Single speeds are fun as long as you get it set up with a gear that can cope with the ups and downs. If you were to use a fixed gear, you will find that it is the descents that hurt more than the climbs!

The only thing I would change, would be to replace the brake levers with some bar end TT levers. These are fairly cheap. The reason being that when you are fast cornering or fast descending, you will be holding the ends of the bars and not very close to the brake levers. Drop bars would give you even better control at high speed manoeuvres.

Good luck

Thats a good idea. For the moment I prefer the bull bar and bar end tt levers are quite interesting. Is there a way, I could have Bothe levers at the same time?

Sharky

Guru
Thats a good idea. For the moment I prefer the bull bar and bar end tt levers are quite interesting. Is there a way, I could have Bothe levers at the same time?
You probably can - Google cyclo Cross brakes or online brakes.
Never tried these myself. Have bull bars with the TT levers on my TT bike and they are ample.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep should be possible as they look like 'interupter' levers

I use a pair of these mounted 'backwards' to enable the cables to sit under the bar tape, nipple sits in the adjuster

OP
OP
justcycle

justcycle

Yep should be possible as they look like 'interupter' levers

I use a pair of these mounted 'backwards' to enable the cables to sit under the bar tape, nipple sits in the adjuster

View attachment 608631
That looks cool. Never seen it before :-)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@justcycle - do you have a tall handlebar stem in your bike? Most of the quill stems I have seen would not go that high SAFELY! There is always a line marked round the stem where it inserts into the steerer tube. That is the minimum insertion limit. You should NOT be able to see that when the stem is adjusted properly!

This is important. If you get it wrong then you could find yourself twisting the stem out of the steerer while riding!!! :eek:

If you need the bars that high but the current stem is unsafely adjusted then you should swap to a taller stem that can give you that height safely.

OP
OP
justcycle

justcycle

Hey congratulations on your new bike!

My opinion of ssfg bikes is: of you want steel, that's fine. But what if you want carbon or Al, they do not seem to be as popular in road spec.
Thanks!
Well, Carbon and Al were not in my budget. I was looking for something around 150-200€. And most used bikes with carbon or Al are around 350€ or more. And even then, the ones who cost around 350 are in pretty crappy condition. I was lucky, I got this bike for a cheap Prise and in very good condition.

For now I’m pretty happy with my bike. And who knows, maybe someday I’ll get myself a nice carbon bike :smile:

mustang1

Guru
Thanks!
Well, Carbon and Al were not in my budget. I was looking for something around 150-200€. And most used bikes with carbon or Al are around 350€ or more. And even then, the ones who cost around 350 are in pretty crappy condition. I was lucky, I got this bike for a cheap Prise and in very good condition.

For now I’m pretty happy with my bike. And who knows, maybe someday I’ll get myself a nice carbon bike :smile:
Hello again! Thanks for that. But what I meant was not why did you buy that bike, but in general, why aren't there more carbon and aluminium ssfg bikes. For example, Specialized Langster (and other mainstream brands) no longer sell their ssfg bikes.

Top Bottom