New to cycling on road and to a hybrid bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Norm said:
Some might direct you towards a book called Cyclecraft but I'd be very wary about using that if you aren't extremely confident on the road.

It is a shame Norm hasn't bothered to read Cyclecraft before stagging it off. It is a book for people at all levels and is recommended reading for Bikeability, the National Cycle Training Standard. It is also recommended by those of use who are fully qualified cycle trainers.

Norm

HJ said:
It is a shame Norm hasn't bothered to read Cyclecraft before stagging it off. It is a book for people at all levels and is recommended reading for Bikeability, the National Cycle Training Standard. It is also recommended by those of use who are fully qualified cycle trainers.
What a strange assumption. Is there any reason you should have said that?

It's wrong, BTW, as I do like to have some basis for forming an opinion. Unlike you, apparently. :becool:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Explain what you mean then Norm as I must admit when I returned to cycling, and was having problems I was recommended the Cyclecraft book by folk on the old C+ site and I found it very useful.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Norm said:
What a strange assumption. Is there any reason you should have said that?

It's wrong, BTW, as I do like to have some basis for forming an opinion. Unlike you, apparently. :becool:

So what is the basis, for not recommending a book a which is recommended by the majority of qualified cycle trainers? Why is it not suited to beginners? You think that they should just gutter hug? You disagree with the advice on page 5 about getting cycle training? Or that the book takes a structured approach, giving "a thorough grounding in basic cycling skills before dealing with on-road situations of increasing complexity"? :biggrin:

Norm

I think that the discussions have been done plenty of times and that beginners is probably not the place to have them anyway.

OP
OP
P

pathfinder

thanks for the inputs; I'll check out cyclecraft when I have more time during my June break. I hope I can absorb the knowledge like a sponge.

Thanks people ;)

Top Bottom