New to Cycling : Seat Adjustment Tool Recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darkelf720

Hiya everyone.

I bought my 12 year old a bike and, stupidly lol, I decided heh I haven't cycled in 40 years, why not. So, the bike shop adjusted the seat to the height they said was okay but, stupidly, I though wow that's really painful and bought a gel seat, gel shorts and adjusted the seat down. Wish I hadn't.

I used a really old, rounded Alan-key to try and raise the seat back up but can't do the bolt tight enough with the ancient alan-key. Been riding for a week solid now with my daughter and don't want to let the fact the seat is at it's lowest setting hold me back.

Please see attached the weird nut thing that tightens the seat.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Attachments

• 20200719_185744.jpg
    20200719_185744.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 8

13 rider

Guru
Just looks like a standard Allen bolt ,will be a metric size so ensure the keys the correct size . Any issues I take it back to the shop admit what happened and haven't bought 2 bikes from them I would hope they would sort you out

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
gel seats are the work of the devil, you sink in and it can cause more issues, a good saddle and a pair of cycling shorts ( if you dont like the lycra look check baggy mtb short style )
seat height is set by heel on pedal with the leg straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke = when your riding gives you the right bend on the knee.
any set of new allen keys should do it , maybe consider a multi tool if you plan to carry tools like that and inner tubes/ tyre levers and a pump in case you have issues on the road
1595186022298.png

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Gel seats, gel pads, terrible things. I am not suggesting you buy Brooks saddle. But they are very popular and they do not have any padding and so there is a lesson.
If you keep having problems with the bolt. Get your local bike shop to replace it and buy a multitool while you are there.

BewlayBrother

1. Apply releasing agent like WD40 but Plus Gas is better. Then as above force a Torx bit (not spanner :smile: ) of a size that is a tight fit into it.
2. Go to Screwfix and get a Bolt extractor set (5 pieces) product code 1112V- currently only £3.99
3. Or get a left handed thread drill bit.
3. Epoxy glue your old allen key in and when fully set try to undo. Only get the glue in where the key fits, not outside otherwise you're gluing the screw in!
Then chuck the screw and key away to ensure you never use them again.

Top Bottom