New to forum & cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba1off

Hi
Joined the forum the other day basically to get as much info as I can before purchasing a bike.
I have decided on a road bike and looking at spending around the £500 mark. Not chosen any bike yet but trawling through some of the post has given me some ideas. I'm a 47yr old male that for the last 30 odd years have done little in the way of exercise and currently over weight 18st. I don't drink or smoke but I need to do something about it. I joined weight watchers and have started losing the weight but I would like to take up a sport and having tried running and given up on it I thought of cycling. As a teenager I used to cycle for miles and miles easily covering 15 to 20 miles in an evening. I did try buying a bike years ago a mountain bike with the intention to commute to work on it. Only used it twice each time took twenty years off my life some of the most frightening experiences I had was on that bike, the number of times a car would pull out on me or reverse into me or just cut me up was enough for me to put it in the shed, it was also like trying to pedal along a lump of lead.
However I now have moved and for some strange reason there are quite a few cycle paths near where I live. This along with me wanting to get fitter made me decide to get a bike. It's going to be a few months before I can afford one but they have static exercise bikes in the gym where I work and I'll start training on them. I'm selling off stuff that I don't need “anybody do archery? And other bits and pieces to fund the bike. I will keep looking in on the forum and let you know what bike I'm thinking of getting when the times right.
Mark

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome to the forum and a return to cycling.
Can't fault your plan! Keep reading and asking questions and get friendly with a good LBS (Local Bike Shop). A reasonable modern road-bike is a revalation.
Regarding road riding, get a copy of 'Cyclecraft' by Franklin (HMSO books), this is the Bible for riding on the road, it's empowering stuff.

Good luck!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Welcome to CC, Mark.

The old forum software used to display our locations so it was easy to arrange rides with locals. That feature may return at some point, but in the mean time - I'm in Hebden Bridge (West Yorkshire) - where are you?

OP
OP
S

Simba1off

Welcome to CC, Mark.

The old forum software used to display our locations so it was easy to arrange rides with locals. That feature may return at some point, but in the mean time - I'm in Hebden Bridge (West Yorkshire) - where are you?

Hi
I live in Warrington Cheshire.
Mark

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It might have felt like a lump of lead, but why didn't you just hang onto the bike you had??

Either that or sell it to some poor unsuspecting newbie :laugh::whistle:

I have to concur though, I do have an exercise bike in my room that I got for nothing, and when the weather is bad outside (or I just can't be bothered going on a ride), it's there and I can still cycle, so I then don't feel too bad about it.
Heck, the sweat pours off me when I'm on that thing, but then, I am inside, without a nice cooling breeze ....I mean a psychotic headwind! :blush:

Top Bottom