New to road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biggsydan

morning ,

I've been on my cube road bike for a year now and I'm looking to change my chain set , I would like to put a shimano 105 on but not sure if I need to change anything else , could someone please advise me ?

Citius

It mainly depends on what is on there already, so more info is needed. In any case, why do you want to change the chainset?

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Biggsydan

Biggsydan

It mainly depends on what is on there already, so more info is needed. In any case, why do you want to change the chainset?
When you ask what's on there what do you mean ? I want to change as I'm pedalling to much in top gear so I want it hardier and more of a push .

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think Citius means what gearing do you already have.
I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to changing gearing etc, but I guess whether you have 2 or 3 rings on the front, how many teeth they have, what's on the back, how many teeth etc.

@Citius, if this isn't the info needed could you explain what is? Biggsydan may be as much a beginner at this stuff as me.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yep. More info needed to be able to give useful advice.

If you look at the chainset it should say the number of teeth, likewise they will be stamped onto the cassette at the rear. Counting the cogs on both will tell you if you've a double/triple set up at the front, you could be anywhere from 8 - 11 at the back.

Well I guess as most road bike are sold as compact doubles i.e. 50/34 we can assume the front is no greater than 50th, even if its a triple chances are it is a 50-39-30 since its 105, chances are the high gear rear is either 12 or 11 if it an 11 the only option is to increase the outer from to 52 or 53, which means moving the FD up the down tube whether it be double or triple, if a triple it will cope with a 30-39-52 after moving it up, a double (34 to 52 is a big jump) so you will likely need to change the inner ring too
Gear inch for a 50x12 is 110" 52x12 is 115", 50x11 is 120" a 52x11 is 125" so the first thing is make sure the rear cassette is 11th on it highest gear (smallest cog) if it is 12 thats the first thing to do as nothing else needs changing and it gives the greatest increase per front chainring, after that the front needs to be changed.

OP
OP
Biggsydan

Biggsydan

My bike is a cube peloton , it has a triple on the front with 50,39,30 teeth and 8 cogs on the back , I'm looking to change to a double cog on the front I've seen a shimano 105 compact

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My bike is a cube peloton , it has a triple on the front with 50,39,30 teeth and 8 cogs on the back , I'm looking to change to a double cog on the front I've seen a shimano 105 compact
105 compact will still have a 50 tooth outer ring, in order to gear up you'll need a 105 standard to get the 53 outer. What type of Bottom Bracket bearing has your existing crank got.

That was similar to my thought: what is "pedalling too much"? Unless it's feet not physically able to keep up with the pedals (120+ cadence IIRC?), the bike can probably go faster with its current gearing if you can supply more power...
Well if I pushed 120rpm on my setup 50x12 I would be doing 39mph, I hardly do that down hill, and then only very rarely.

105 compact will still have a 50 tooth outer ring, in order to gear up you'll need a 105 standard to get the 53 outer. What type of Bottom Bracket bearing has your existing crank got.
Depends on the crankset, I can fit a 52 to mine, it is a compact triple but 52 rings do exist in 110BCD, and my triple FD5700 FD does a 24th range, never ran it as 28-40-52 but I have as 26-38-50 and 30-40-52 coupled with the rear 12-27 was the fastest ever avg speed of any combination I have had.

Top Bottom