New to SPD's....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AliA

hello
I am hoping someone out there might be able to help.
I bought my first pair of MTB shoes today (Bontrager Race WSD), with the intention of buying some SPD pedals to fit.
I am looking at Shimano M424 SPD MTB Pedals to buy, but does anyone know if they would come with the cleats included, or would I need to buy these separately, and if so, which cleats?!
Alternatively, if anyone has any other suggestions for a good pedal I'd be open to suggestions.....
Sorry, I am really new to all of this and it's all a bit confusing
Thanks
AliA

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I have bought 2 pair of SPD pedals recently. The second pair, Shimano 520's. Both pairs came with cleats. As cleats are standard with SPD's I think that all new pedals will include them. Other pedals that have different cleats for different amount of float IIRC need to have the cleats bought extra so you get the correct cleat for your needs.

funkidunc

AliA said:
hello
I am hoping someone out there might be able to help.
I bought my first pair of MTB shoes today (Bontrager Race WSD), with the intention of buying some SPD pedals to fit.
I am looking at Shimano M424 SPD MTB Pedals to buy, but does anyone know if they would come with the cleats included, or would I need to buy these separately, and if so, which cleats?!
Alternatively, if anyone has any other suggestions for a good pedal I'd be open to suggestions.....
Sorry, I am really new to all of this and it's all a bit confusing
Thanks
AliA

Hi ya.

I was a newcomer to spd 3 weeks ago when I got my new bike. As I was nervous about getting SPDs I bought the 424s. They are fantastic, give you time to pull away from standing starts prior to engaging the pedal.

You wont need to buy cleats as they should come with the pedals (or the shoes, i cant quite remember). Get your LBS to losing the spd springs to start of with. I got the hang of them virtually straightaway.

Good luck. SPDs certainly help getting up hills!!

OP
OP
A

AliA

Thanks everyone.I have just ordered the 424's for my MTB, and if I get on with them will get some for the hybrid I commute on too.
I am accepting of the fact I may fall of a few times - would rather do that on the MTB off road!

OP
OP
A

AliA

Morning.
My other half very kindly fitted my SPD's and pedals for me on Friday. I had a very slow fall onto the paving slabs in the garden whilst practicing on FRiday. Went out on a cross country 15 mile ride yesterday and only fell once. I already feel more connected with the bike, and felt the pedals really helped me when we were coming back home up a really sandy forest track that I have struggled up in the past - I just told myself to pull as well and push and I motored up the hill!
Am very pleased with my purchase and will definitely be buying another pair for the other bike.

Top Bottom