New to the forum, just got to get around the wife now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3DHB

Hi all.

I'm your typical 30 something getting back into biking having been away from anything pedal power since my late teens/early twenties.

I figure that now I'm finally working close enough to home to cycle to work, need to get a bit fitter and the like, its time to get a new bike. Will be doing most of the miles on road but going to get an MTB so can have some fun on the days off, and maybe on the way home in the summer too.

Started off looking at the crap that Argos and Halfords were offering, ended up on the internet, and finally here. No problem trying to justify a £200 bike to the wife but since I've been looking around the forums I've found that budget has blown out of the water, may aswell get a decent bike, so depending what she says tonight I'm hoping to try out a Whyte 801 out for size tomorrow. Its only an extra £500 or so :whistle: but what can I say? Better quality so should last longer, you can't put a price on better health and fitness, lose the gut, cheaper than the car, better for the environment, with 0% finance it's practically a gift, it comes with a free Pandora charm/shoes/etc (ok that bit's a lie but I could soon enough get one of those for her)..........

So, anyway, Hi, and if you have any other arguements FOR getting the bike I'm all ears.

jay clock

Massive member
If your wife resents you spending money on a life-affirming and healthy hobby it will be a challenge. My money spent on bikes and related areas like triathlon is offset by zero on booze, fags and Sky tv...

Cycling to work is a huge fitness booster and even a short ride gets you "cycle fit" very fast indeed. I went from doing a 10 mile round trip for a few weeks, then straight to a 55mile ride with nothing in between

Warning, it will be triathlon next.....

Francesca

just buy the bike.....if its what you really want, you dont have to woo with charm bracelets etc etc, my husband didnt "ask" me if he could buy his first bike, he just bought it, and now iam hooked on mountain biking too! Nobody should "ask" for permission.
Ask her to start riding with you, you may be pleasantly surprised..:smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
How are you getting to work at the moment? If you're driving or using public transport, you may well find that the bike soon pays for itself. It's also a lot cheaper than gym membership in the long run. Plus a £700 is going to be much nicer to ride than a £200 bike so you're far more likely to want to keep it up.

Those are the rational arguments. But really, if you need to ask your wife's permission... the best advice is just MTFU. ;)

d.

OP
OP

3DHB

Cheers, I'm loving the advice so far.

And you are right Francesca I shouldn't have to ask, but I have pretty much given up all shred of independence over the last 11 years, that includes control over my own wages and bank account, and a little sweetener in the form of something for her also may just stop me from having to sleep on the sofa I paid for. I can't moan though, she does let me get most things I want.

To be fair she has got a Carrera MTB in the garage which would probably vapourish if it saw daylight after this long out of use but the thought of a few rides with her (on the bike) seems quite appealing.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I can't moan though, she does let me get most things I want.

Sounds like my wife. The problem I had was that my wife knows nothing about bikes, so it was hard to convince her that there's really a significant advantage to a £1000 bike over a £200 bike. And then I had to convince her that I really needed another bike rather than just use one bike for all purposes...

All that really matters is that you can genuinely afford it out of your household budget and aren't spending money that she had earmarked for things like holidays or home improvements that would benefit both of you rather than just you. Being reasonable works both ways!

d.

Deanno1dad

Über Member
Just tell her it was £200...hide the bank statements.
I made this mistake and had to explain £600 for a bike was a bargain!!

Peteaud

Veteran
Take her out for a meal, buy her some flowers and a handbag or some girly crap, then be a bloody man, put your foot down and say

"pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssse"

:smooch:

Francesca

When my husband bought his bike, I didnt moan, or have a go at him, or make life difficult for him..whatever......instead I got alot of pleasure seeing his face light up when he was going out on it.THATS what its all about, enjoying your hobbies etc. Gary asked if I woul start biking and I did, and never looked back. Have a real serious chat with your wife, I sure she will understand, sorry but buying all that girly shite and handbags bribery etc etc:tired: doesnt work with me and probably alot of other women too. Its seeing your partner enjoy what they love doing. If my husband gave me a hard time if I wanted to buy a bike I would tell him to piss off..simple. Iam going to be saving hard for my new On One 456 Carbon whoch iam getting later in year, and Ima not asking his permission or anything for it, he knows I want it, and thats what iam getting. Get your bike!!

When my husband bought his bike, I didnt moan, or have a go at him, or make life difficult for him..whatever......instead I got alot of pleasure seeing his face light up when he was going out on it.THATS what its all about, enjoying your hobbies etc. Gary asked if I woul start biking and I did, and never looked back. Have a real serious chat with your wife, I sure she will understand, sorry but buying all that girly shite and handbags bribery etc etc:tired: doesnt work with me and probably alot of other women too. Its seeing your partner enjoy what they love doing. If my husband gave me a hard time if I wanted to buy a bike I would tell him to piss off..simple. Iam going to be saving hard for my new On One 456 Carbon whoch iam getting later in year, and Ima not asking his permission or anything for it, he knows I want it, and thats what iam getting. Get your bike!!
+1 on the above!

jay clock

Massive member
You have a back bone Jay you've set the bar:bravo:erm where did you get yours can you get em ont tinternet a mate of mine wants know:whistle:
I was slightly joking! But my ex wife was a bit dismissive of my (at that time extremely modest) cycling addiction. Whether by luck or judgement new partner (almost 10 years now) is very supportive (I suspect she likes me out the house). And yes, I did find her on the t'interweb..... Dating Direct. We were pioneers of the online dating mallarkey when it was an unusual way to go about it.....

BSRU

A Human Being
One advantage of the "cycle to work" scheme is even if your not saving alot of money, your paying a reasonable amount each month which is taken straight from your pay. Makes it alot easier to get the better half on side rather than trying to justify buying a £1000 bike directly.

Top Bottom