New to the scene

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spudubike

Hi I want to try out some cycle routes around Bolton, need something easy for starters , can anyone share some ideas Ta
😊

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi I want to try out some cycle routes around Bolton, need something easy for starters , can anyone share some ideas Ta
😊

If you expand on your experience, new to riding, fitness, age etc. Are you planning on a big event or just casual enjoyment cycling?

I'm in the Midlands so can only suggest a process. Also, "easy" is relative.
https://cycle.travel/map
Put your start point in the "From" field, and hit the "Suggest a ride" button. Adjust the slider to about 10 miles.
Ride and decide if you want to do more, or less.
Cycle.travel will route you down the quietest roads available, consistent with your input parameters.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Fellow Boltonian here.
The Middlebrook trail runs from the 3 tower flats in Deane to the beehive roundabout in Horwich. Along the railway line. It can be a bit bumpy in places but can be done with a road bike easily.
If you wanted to join a social group on rides, https://www.bolton.gov.uk/sport-bolton-0/walking-cycling/1
Scroll to where it says Ride this Way.
I used to cycle with them myself and are a friendly bunch.
Sadly, nice slow cycle clubs in Bolton don't exist. They're all for racers and speed merchants.
If that's your thing, there's Bolton Clarion.
A few others too but I can't remember them off heart.
Cycle routes are generally a joke in Bolton so I can't really advise on any. To get any half decent cycling done, you either need to go north towards Rivington where the moor roads can be a nice break from the urban hell that Bolton has become, south in Cheshire where its flat ish and leafy, west towards and beyond Chorley or go east past Bury for some hilly Yorkshireness.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
😊
I don't know how easy it is for you to get to Chorley but my club might be of interest. We run many different rides including Intro and Progression rides on Saturdays. These are intended to attract new people or those who want something paced at around 13mph avg.

If by cycle routes you mean marked trails I can't help. If you're looking for routes others have designed go on RideWithGPS put Chorley in as a start point and do a search for ",within five miles." You'll find plenty our guys have created.

Search for Chorley Cycling Club on Facebook or www.chorleycyclingclub.com. Our website isn't great but a new one is coming soon.......ISH!

Last edited:
Top Bottom