New to touring need a bike rec.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
citizensnips2008 said:
right well for now i think ill just do training with my MTB save some money like you all suggest :smile: been looking at road tyres for it would the size 26 x 125 fit my bike the off road tyres on it are 2x200

Also how can i tell if my mountain bike can carry rear panniers, it has two little metal nobbly bits halfway between the seat and the back gearing, but i cant see how else the rack would fit on thank you

Take it to your local bike shop and ask them.

I'm not an expert on fitting slicks to MTB wheels someone will be along to advise no doubt.

ronmac

I'm fairly new to cycling and bought a Claude Butler Regent from www.bikeoutlet.co.uk at a good price compared with other places. I'm very happy with it and intend doing London/Paris/London on it soon. They're website has many brand name bikes in your price range many with rear racks. Look under 'Leisure cycles' then 'Hybrid' (down left hand side of screen). I'm in no way connected with this website, just happy with what I got and the price I got it at. Ron.

willem

Über Member
If you want faster tyres to turn an mtb into a tourer, get 50 mm Schwalbe Big Apples (I don't like the 60 mm variant). They are sturdy enough for most applications (unless you intend to go wildly off road etc), give good grip on bad roads, they are very comfortable, and finally they are surprisingly fast. Narrow tyres on a stiff mtb frame are uncomfortable, handle badly on gravel roads, puncture more easily, and may not be faster in reality (because they cannot cope with bad road surface).
If you want to ride even faster, and can live with their greater fragility, go for Panaracer Pasela 26x1.75. I have them for very light tours, and love them, but not for loaded tours. If you want to rough it more than the Big Apples can handle, the next step would be the ordinary Schwalbe Marathon (not the stiff Marathon Plus).
If your frame has no provision for a rear rack, Old Man Mountain make excellent racks that will almost certainly fit. If a normal rack will fit, my favourite is the Tubus Cargo, or if the budget is very tight the Blackburn EX. A stiff and strong rack is very important. Try limiting your luggage to what will fit into a set of rear paniers only. That saves the expense of a front rack and front panniers, and if you have front suspension fitting front panniers is always a bit of a compromise.
Willem

Top Bottom