New top speed; 100km/h!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
See, as someone as pointed out it's probably just a GPS error, but looking through my endomondo tracks, the three times I've did the same route it's all registered above 100km/h, in fact another one (which I didn't notice) was actually 106km/h, seems odd that the GPS would fault 3 times on the same track. I'll have to get an actual speedometer and see what that says.

Is it possible there is something in that area that generates an electrical field. On one of my first wireless computers I would ride the same stretch of road and at the same place my speed would increase wildly. Once out of the 100meter stretch it would revert to normal. Never did figure out why TBH.

beastie

Guru
I have flux capacitor newly fitted to my Secteur, now I just need to get to 88mph.

OP
OP
Seigi

Seigi

Is it possible there is something in that area that generates an electrical field. On one of my first wireless computers I would ride the same stretch of road and at the same place my speed would increase wildly. Once out of the 100meter stretch it would revert to normal. Never did figure out why TBH.

There is a large factory which I pass when on the road, but that's towards the bottom of the hill, I can't really think of anything else as it's mostly rural..

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I couldn't work out how I managed consistantly to achieve 46mph on the last mile to my house on the flat and put it down to a faulty GPS until I realised that the path shortcut I took home across the grass cut out a half mile on the street that the mapping assumed I took!

Ian 74

Nice one. Which hill was it, I'll have to check it out. I have only managed 49mph down steadmans hill. It was scary, but I'd like to push the envelope a little bit further.
thumbsup.png

400bhp

Guru
There is a large factory which I pass when on the road, but that's towards the bottom of the hill, I can't really think of anything else as it's mostly rural..

Does it have Dharma written on the side of the factory?

OP
OP
Seigi

Seigi

Nice one. Which hill was it, I'll have to check it out. I have only managed 49mph down steadmans hill. It was scary, but I'd like to push the envelope a little bit further.
thumbsup.png

http://maps.google.c...,17.91,,0,12.42

It starts roughly about there, proper. I went half way down today but had to cut it short and head through Cummersdale instead as I got pelted by hail and heavy rain (Really ruined a nice ride, I was aiming for my first 40k, only made it to 35k because of the short cut I had to take :'( )

Bobtoo

Über Member
My wife used Endomondo when she was training for the Moonwalk and she found it wildly inaccurate on distance (and therefore everything else too) compared with measuring the route on GE or similar. It didn't seem to be able to fill in the gaps when the GPS signal was lost. We don't know whether the phone, an HTC Wildfire, or Endomondo was to blame.

twobiker

I have a Bikehut on my tourer and when I did my first 100 miler it was only .3 of a mile out, I checked this two days later by driving the same route in my car, to show the family where I'd been all day !

flipflop

Cycling, the healthiest form of self harm I know!
I had a similar situation.

I had a freebie GPS cycle app on my smart phone. On a downhill decent (Kings head hill in chingford) it registered 61.8MPH... Being a bit of a novice and only just got my first road bike I didn't really have any idea how fast I was really going. I was proper flying though, head down, elbows in I really went for it. I didn't have a helmet on which was a bit daft but I have to say it was a huge rush.

Im not too sure on the hill gradient but according to google earth its about 0.6miles long.(how sad is that)

It always registers around that speed on the same hill using the GPS but it may be something to do with the GPS signal in that area. I have tried it on numerous occasions with very similar results

I have since upgraded to a Mavic cycle computer which registers at 47 MPH. (I also now wear a helmet which must cause a bit of drag surely)

Mind you Im using the GPs result as bragging rights to my mates!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you can pedal, you are going nowhere near 100kph. I've done it a few times and its full on aero tuck in ideal conditions. Get any cross wind and you know about it.

flipflop

Cycling, the healthiest form of self harm I know!
If you can pedal, you are going nowhere near 100kph. I've done it a few times and its full on aero tuck in ideal conditions. Get any cross wind and you know about it.

Yeah I figured that one out about 2/3rds the way down!
I cranked like crazy at first then adopted an aero tuck ( pedals at quarter to 3, bum slightly off the saddle, nose on handle bars and elbows in) then had the bright idea of trying to apply the pedals to go faster... instead i just wobbled a LOT! I wont be doing that again in a hurry.

Like I said I guessed it was a GPS signal fault in that area to show 61.8MPH but for a noob it felt lightning quick. I can't see myself hitting those speeds with the current set of wheels on my bike.

That is some doing! My max ever was 70.7kph on a touring bike fully loaded going down one big ass mountain hill where I could see for miles. I just went for it ! That was what the speedo clocked me at. I probably could haev hit faster but then realised I was being silly as this was jsut Day 2 of a 23 day 2500km tour. So didnt wanna wipe out! :biggrin:

Top Bottom