New Topeak saddle bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Swift

hey guys I got a new saddle bag really impressed and well worth the extra £5 compared with my old bag.

I've added a rear light to the bag, does it look ok to you guys? Seems low to me.... I am a short arse and I've set my saddle the way the show on YouTube gnc.

Are there any other rear lights you recommend i attach somehow ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 133

tournut

hey guys I got a new saddle bag really impressed and well worth the extra £5 compared with my old bag.

I've added a rear light to the bag, does it look ok to you guys? Seems low to me.... I am a short arse and I've set my saddle the way the show on YouTube gnc.

Are there any other rear lights you recommend i attach somehow ?
Seen the pik that dont work, try put on saddle stem, lower the bag abit.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Seen the pik that dont work, try put on saddle stem, lower the bag abit.

Thanks for the reply... It's a wedge pack 2 if attached on its own to the saddle stem ( I assume you mean seat post) it isn't strong enought to hold it. I saw advised by halfords that it would fit any bike... Only went to halfords as had a £20:00 free voucher from a friend who was moving to Australia.

This is the bag

http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/wedgepack2_medium

tournut

Thanks for the reply... It's a wedge pack 2 if attached on its own to the saddle stem ( I assume you mean seat post) it isn't strong enought to hold it. I saw advised by halfords that it would fit any bike... Only went to halfords as had a £20:00 free voucher from a friend who was moving to Australia.

This is the bag

http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/wedgepack2_medium
Wot i mean is try put light just under saddle, halfords staff are not that great. If still av problem take it bk and show them, where the hell are you to put it. The only thing wot will see the light when its on are ants.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Wot i mean is try put light just under saddle, halfords staff are not that great. If still av problem take it bk and show them, where the hell are you to put it. The only thing wot will see the light when its on are ants.

Agh i see I'll try that thanks. Yes I prefure lbs , got bike from decathlon n staff there ain't overly that great with bikes either.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Hi, I have this bag and have lost 2 lights off the back, both cheapo's, one I managed to pick up out of the road the other smashed to bits! Better off to try to attach light to seat post if you can, but I agree if you are short, available seat post might be limited, and because it uses the "quick clip" there's no room under the saddle.
The bag however is great and I've had no problems with mine.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Those light loops are an excellent idea, very poorly executed.

When I had one I bodged something up using some plastic pipe, about the same diameter as a seatpost with a slip in it to fit inside the loop. It was then heated and bent so that the pipe would hold the light at the correct angle. I then used the lights seatpost attachment on the pipe and cable tied the pipe to the saddlebag, and the light to the pipe.

Easier done than said!

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

image.jpg
Great stuff guys thanks I think I've sorted it, changed the light to a cateye and strapped to seat post tube and Angeles it up slightly.... What do you think?

Btw tried both lights on the clip on bag but couldn't get right angel.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
In my experience the larger capacity bags have a better angle on seat post. If a light is attached to the bag then it faces rearward and not at the ground. They are also more useable but are still tucked away.
With the smaller bag you could try a cable tie on the seat post to "encourage" the bag to sit at a better angle for the rear light.
I too bounced out two rear lights from the loop, but managed to recover the second one before it got crushed. My solution was a small cable tie fastened around the bottom of the light clip after it was fitted to the bag. In effect closing the open end of the clip. Touch wood, this has lasted all winter in spite of regular use on both made and unmade roads.
It also has the bonus that when I switch bikes, the light comes with the bag.

Edit - Just noticed your rear reflector looks to be obscured by the bag, so that (the reflector) will need to be moved.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Get a light that mounts to the rear right seatstay - then you can easily see it that it's OK while riding.

I also prefer ones that take AAs because they last longer between charges and you're never more than a small shop away from pretty cheap emergency replacements, unlike those infernal button cells. I use an Axa-Basta Mars III on one bike but that's been obsolete nearly a decade now!

gmw492

Veteran
I've just bought the topeak Aero wedge medium saddle bag,it seems to sit up the seat post more and has like a flat edge on it,fitted a cheap light to it as a. Tester and it sits up well,gonna get the topeak Redlight mega Rear as it is suppose to fit well to it.:okay:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Be aware that if you can attach a rear light to the loop on the bag, it can bounce out of the loop and commit suicide under the wheels of the car behind you (DAHIKT).

Tightly wrap a cable tie around the bottom of the clip to help stop this happening.

Top Bottom