1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Town to Gyle/Gogarburn

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by sirrory, 9 Feb 2008.

1. sirrory

sirrory New Member

Please can anyone let me know how I do this route without getting nailed by a bus or such like.
    Also, which would be a better buy, a Revolution Courier '07 at £250 or Marin Muirwoods '08 at £400? Cheers

2. Is that somewhere in Scotland?

3. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

I do Leith to the Gyle (map here) if that's any help. Mostly off road. If you could get your way onto the off-road path at some point, that may suit your need to avoid buses !

4. Kirst

Kirst Well-Known Member

Union Canal?

5. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

You should get your self a copy of the Spoke Edinburgh Cycle map, it shows all the off road routes and dedicated cycle paths. As well as the which roads are best for cycling and which should be avoided. Most cycle shops in Edinburgh sell them.

6. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

I second the Spokes map; I've lent mine to a number of people and they've ended up buying their own afterwards, which gives you an idea of how good people find it !

7. gavintc

gavintc Guru

I find the routes with bus lanes safer than the other roads. You only need to worry about buses and they tend to be driven by people with more care than the typical car driver. I think that once you get cycling, you will find the Cortsorphine Rd better than many other options. If you want traffic free, the canal towpath from fountainbridge will get you pretty close. But as most have commented - the Spokes maps are excellent.

8. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

I'm of the same opinion as Gavin; roads are much more appropriate any day and time of the week for me. But it depends on your confidence I suppose.

9. Tetedelacourse

ps it's probably a good shout to get on the canal path at Tollcross and head out then down through sighthill if you want to avoid a lot of other (because you are also) traffic.

10. Tetedelacourse

pps always spend as much as you can on a bike!

11. kyuss

kyuss Über Member

The Union Canal path is a good option if you really really want to get away from the traffic but the surface does get pretty bad out past Wester Hailes, especially when it's wet.

Avoiding traffic isn't always the best option. If you only ever ride on offroad paths you'll struggle to pick up the confidence to ride on the road. Get out there and mix it up with the cagers.:angry:

Corstorphine Road is probably one of the least stressful road routes in Edinburgh. Nice wide road with bus lanes all the way out to the Gyle, and I've found the Lothian Buses drivers to be really courteous. I don't think you'd have too much trouble.

Judging from reviews the Marin is a good bike but for £400 I'd rather have a Specialized Sirrus. The Revolution does look good at £250 though. I looked at getting a Courier Race last year for only £30 more but unfortunately the money had to go on other things. They only have a single front chainring, which might limit it on really steep hills, but I guess only you can decide whether this would be a problem.

12. Slim

Slim Über Member

Slightly OT

Is there anything at Gogarburn other than RBS???

I just need to know if there's going to be any "collateral damage" when the place gets nuked by victims customers :smile:

13. Kirst

Kirst Well-Known Member

I'll second that. Lothian Bus drivers are on the whole excellent at looking out for cyclists.

First Bus drivers want us dead.

14. OP
    OP
    sirrory

sirrory New Member

thanks for all the responses. cheers

15. purpleR

purpleR Senior Member

And thirded.