New Triban RC520...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoffers

Regular
Anyone put mudguards on yet ?
Will be pressing n+1 button shortly.
Have a look at page 4 of this thread - I posted a couple of pics of mudguards and luggage rack on my RC520. Not had any problem with them. Wheels run fine and come off easily for cleaning. No snagging, plenty of room ... sweet.

nickAKA

Über Member
I don't care about weight, a number that seems to be hugely over-rated by the cycling community

Yes & no. TBF the RC520 could hardly be classed as a heavyweight bike, my personal experience is once it gets north of 13kg and you're used to riding something more like 8kg it becomes very noticable on steeper gradients. My steel framed gravel bike has a very forgiving 34t cassette, if it didn't I'd struggle on the inclines I ride it on. Many, many times I have hankered after my carbon-framed, expensively-wheeled road bike mid way up a climb...

MrPorridge

Saw an RC520 in the flesh on Friday night. I've no idea what I'm looking for but it looked nice to me. Understated in the navy blue but a bit different from all the the other black bikes. The Decathlon employee I spoke to was also very helpful.

Wrong size for me (medium) but tried a similar Triban in small which seemed OK.

So, imagine my delight when the small size showed up as in stock on the website tonight...

...and Imagine my despair when buying it, "verified by visa" declined the transaction. In the time it took to go back and try a different payment method the bike had gone out of stock. Couldn't believe it. Bloody furious as I've been waiting for these to come in stock for weeks.

Last edited:

plasticniki

Anyone put mudguards on yet ?

Yep, a set of cheapo Lifeline ones from Wiggle. They're well nice to be fair:

pFt5DUP.jpg

Added 32mm 4 Seasons tyres. Just need some mudflaps and then it'll be properly winter-ified.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Saw an RC520 in the flesh on Friday night. I've no idea what I'm looking for but it looked nice to me. Understated in the navy blue but a bit different from all the the other black bikes. The Decathlon employee I spoke to was also very helpful.

Wrong size for me (medium) but tried a similar Triban in small which seemed OK (I can never get any significant standover due to me comically stumpy legs).

So, imagine my delight when the small size showed up as in stock on the website tonight...

...and Imagine my despair when buying it, "verified by visa" declined the transaction. In the time it took to go back and try a different payment method the bike had gone out of stock. Couldn't believe it. Bloody furious as I've been waiting for these to come in stock for weeks. They have the small size in some stores "darn sarf" but you can't buy them online. Decathlon can't let you know when they're coming in and there's no pre-order facility, meaning you've got to keep checking the website every day and even then it doesn't always work, as I've just found out.

Sorry, just needed to sound off. Will probably calm down by Tuesday. Arghh.
Same down here, item showing stock online but physically not there, very frustrating.

nickAKA

Über Member
Yep, a set of cheapo Lifeline ones from Wiggle. They're well nice to be fair:

View attachment 439553

Added 32mm 4 Seasons tyres. Just need some mudflaps and then it'll be properly winter-ified.

Looks the business that!

<I don't need another bike>

<checks stock in local decathlon...>

rcp_typo

Regular
On the fence about one of these for a long time. After shopping for a new bike for my girlfriend yesterday, it has struck home just how good an option this is if the frame is as comfortable as people suggest. She'd been looking at a claris equipped specialized diverge for her commute for £800. hard to see how decathlon make any money when their RC 500 is only £529...

MrPorridge

There's a new road.cc review of the RC520

Seems like a nice write-up - amazing value, relaxed geometry bike etc.

I actually bought one over a week ago. I've been waiting for the small size to be available online - they seem to sell out almost instantly. Turned up to collect it in my local store to find a large-sized mountain bike waiting for me.
They said they'd get a small from another store (none in warehouse) but it would be 1-2 weeks. What's annoying is that the small bikes were again available midweek but I'm in limbo waiting for the store transfer, having paid for a bike I don't have.
Decathlon have sent me a £35 voucher as a gesture and the store staff have been great so I'm trying not to spit my dummy out over this.

MrPorridge

Finally got the thing on Wednesday! The combination of work and terrible weather meant it was today before I could try it out properly.

I am very ignorant of all things push-iron related so I can't really comment on the technicalities, other than it feels very nice, and it's comfortable too.

On "Little Blue's" inaugural voyage I grovelled around a 20 mile loop and the combination of the wind assisted easterly outward journey and horrible headwind coming back meant that I used most of the gears in anger. There's some chain rub on higher gears on the big ring so I guess that needs adjusting. The brakes seem to rub very slightly too - I can hear it at home but don't notice it when riding. Have googled this and it doesn't look like an easy fix (involves pulling out brake pads and fiddling with pistons) so I'm hoping it will magically disappear over time (ever the optimist!).

Anyway. Too much blather, as always. Here's a photo after the post ride rinse. Probably pointless as it's 100% stock.
(Note the comically non-aggressive setup: my stumpy little legs mean that any kind of significant saddle/bar drop is impossible, unless I manage to find a bike with no head tube!)

44400822440_1034e80723_b.jpg

plasticniki

Has anyone fitted different tyres with tubes to the stock wheels? I've had a total nightmare these past two weeks with the 4 Seasons I have on my wheels - they're incredibly difficult to get on and off. I tried some other tyres I have on my other bike which are able to mount and dismount with minimal effort and couldn't get those on either. Wondering if there's a secret combo of tyre + wheel.

rcp_typo

Regular
Finally got around to picking one of these up after stock issues at my local decathlon.

Split concensus on staff on whether I should best fit a medium or large frame and settled on the large in the end (I'm 181-184 cm, can't remember exactly!) . Not hadA chance to take it out for a good ride yet, but had to lower the saddle a bit and move it forward a touch, plus they fitted a 90mm stem in place of the stock 100.

This is my first road bike, and so the sizing has me a bit uneasy being a bit in the middle. Normally I thought on such types of bike the saddle should be a touch higher than in the attached I feel a bit stretched out on it but not badly so, (just more than my old hybrid). Am I worrying too much over this/misinformed about some stuff? It's not at all u comfortable o. The short ride I have been on since, just I don't k ow a real benchmark, transitioning to drops handlebars for the first time

rps20190201_194507.jpg

Top Bottom