New Triban RC520...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
Has anyone fitted different tyres with tubes to the stock wheels? I've had a total nightmare these past two weeks with the 4 Seasons I have on my wheels - they're incredibly difficult to get on and off. I tried some other tyres I have on my other bike which are able to mount and dismount with minimal effort and couldn't get those on either. Wondering if there's a secret combo of tyre + wheel.

Are they tubeless ready wheels or did I imagine that? I had similar (though not horrendously bad) experience with fulcrum 2-way fit rims & gp4000s; I put it down to the bigger(?) lip for the tubeless beads, spent a bit more time getting the tyres right into the base of the rims prior to levering the last inch on and it wasn't so bad.

Finally got around to picking one of these up after stock issues at my local decathlon.

Split concensus on staff on whether I should best fit a medium or large frame and settled on the large in the end (I'm 181-184 cm, can't remember exactly!) . Not hadA chance to take it out for a good ride yet, but had to lower the saddle a bit and move it forward a touch, plus they fitted a 90mm stem in place of the stock 100.

This is my first road bike, and so the sizing has me a bit uneasy being a bit in the middle. Normally I thought on such types of bike the saddle should be a touch higher than in the attached I feel a bit stretched out on it but not badly so, (just more than my old hybrid). Am I worrying too much over this/misinformed about some stuff? It's not at all u comfortable o. The short ride I have been on since, just I don't k ow a real benchmark, transitioning to drops handlebars for the first time

View attachment 450152

Hybrids are more upright so it will take some time getting used to a new position on drop bars. My personal opinion on sizing here would be that if you're longer in the body proportionally to your leg length, size up, and vice-versa if you have a longer leg. I put an 80mm stem on mine because I felt stretched out which also helps me get down onto the drops more comfortably, but get used to the bike before lashing more money on bits you may not require.

tomaquet

I've picked on the orange stripe and added to it .
Had to drop stem from 130 to 100mm.

Looks nice. Can you post a few more photos please? (maybe with a plain background and with the orange stripes so can appreciate it more)

IMG_20190112_112430114.jpg
Looks nice. Can you post a few more photos please? (maybe with a plain background and with the orange stripes so can appreciate it more)

Canal outside Warwick
IMG_20181222_111314862_HDR-01.jpeg

tomaquet

Thanks for the photo. Decathlon Spain have finally put the webpage up for this - just have to wait for a shop to actually stock them now...

I see decathlon have released a new promotional video for the RC520 today

The specs say the widest tyre is 36 mm - but is that with or without mudguards? If it's with mudguards what would be the widest tyre that would fit without mudguards? If I wanted really wide tyres, would it be possible to change the wheels for 650B and fit say 46mm tyres? How much extra changes would the bike need (e.g. to fit the brakes correctly)?

Thanks for any advice....

Wolf616

Über Member
My 500se is going back to Decathlon for a refund after the frame had (non catastrophic) problems. Love the fact they offer a lifetime warranty...

Anyway, with the £250 refund (bought it cheap last year at the end of the line) I am thinking of getting an RC520. I've been trying to find a proper image the 500SE geometry/measurements to compare to the RC520 but I can't - anyone better at googling than me? I ask as adjusting the 500SE was a nightmare for my long legged, short torsoed and tight hamstring and calved body. Probably will go for the large, but need to work out if I need a shorter stem like I did with the 500SE...

My 500se is going back to Decathlon for a refund after the frame had (non catastrophic) problems. Love the fact they offer a lifetime warranty...

Anyway, with the £250 refund (bought it cheap last year at the end of the line) I am thinking of getting an RC520. I've been trying to find a proper image the 500SE geometry/measurements to compare to the RC520 but I can't - anyone better at googling than me? I ask as adjusting the 500SE was a nightmare for my long legged, short torsoed and tight hamstring and calved body. Probably will go for the large, but need to work out if I need a shorter stem like I did with the 500SE...

I'm 5'11" and bought the XL.
Dropped the 130mm stem to 100 and moved my SPD cleats right back on the shoes.
Cured same issues you mention

tomaquet

Anyone gone tubeless on the Rc520 yet ?

Fitted some Swalbe G one 35mm allrounds, tubeless yesterday. No problem sealing. I used Stans race sealant and gorilla tape ripped it to get the right width, about 20mn. The difference in ride comfort is amazing!

Wolf616

Über Member
Picked one up today and don't think they set it up perfectly as getting very minor brake rub on the back wheel... Typical! Anyone can link me to a video or something on how to adjust, disc brakes are a whole new world to me...

Picked one up today and don't think they set it up perfectly as getting very minor brake rub on the back wheel... Typical! Anyone can link me to a video or something on how to adjust, disc brakes are a whole new world to me...
I usually have a ride and a hard brake application and it usually sorts

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Loosen the bolts securing the caliper to the frame. Pull & hold the brake with one hand, re-tighten the bolts with the other.

dotpaul

Hopefully not derailing this chat too much. I'm on my second Triban RC 520. The first the tyres perished after 4 weeks and the headset started creaking badly. Decathlon tried to repair, failed and swapped it out. Now on my second the headset has started creaking again and the bottom bracket appears to squeak.

Anyone else had any problems? Other than this it's been a great bike.

plasticniki

Hopefully not derailing this chat too much. I'm on my second Triban RC 520. The first the tyres perished after 4 weeks and the headset started creaking badly. Decathlon tried to repair, failed and swapped it out. Now on my second the headset has started creaking again and the bottom bracket appears to squeak.

Anyone else had any problems? Other than this it's been a great bike.

A few problems* with the bike here, but nothing major. Over 5700km so far including a 600km and 400km ride. Here it is in audax mode:

image.png

*I have had issues with the stock wheels (impossible to get tyres other than the stock ones on and off); the front derailleur not being set up properly (sorted by LBS); a squeaking rear QR on my new wheels (nothing to do with Decathlon); a slipping seatpost (again, shoved a new seatpost on so nowt to do with Decathers); and this morning I discovered the quick link on my chain is damaged (this is my second chain, so I will just install another). I have also had some brake niggles - I discovered Decathlon had neglected to set the rear brake up with compressionless housing, leaving it spongey. I actually mentioned this when I bought it but they just shrugged and said it was meant to feel like that. I have changed one set of pads and really should do the other I guess.

I got what I assume was BB creak in April; a service at my LBS sorted that out, but they didn't actually replace the BB.

I love this bike a lot. It's so comfy for something so cheap and I actually prefer riding it compared to my other (lighter) bike.

a>

Top Bottom