New tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt-g

Hi,

I just installed a new set of tyres and tubes on my mid 80s raleigh chiltern, but it looks as though I've inadvertently ordered presta valves rather the shraeder and the presta valves aren't seating as well as the old shreader ones. There's a little bit of "wiggle" where the metal valves meet the rims.

The cost of returning thes tubes is unfeasible, as they were mail order.

Am I storing up trouble by simply ignoring this, or do I need to get a rim converter?

I see they do them for mavic rims,but I'm not sure these would be compatible with my old raleigh wheels

Thanks in advance

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Prestas will be narrower diameter than the old Schrader valves so they might wiggle about a little but they should be fine.

CitroenCrazy

Veteran
I've noticed that on the presta tubes I've bought recently, the wee nut has a shoulder on one side, which I've assumed is to locate in the rim when the aperture is big enough for a shrader valve.
Worth a close look ?

OP
OP
Matt-g

Matt-g

Hi thanks for this, there is indeed a small shoulder on the new tubes and I've experimented switching it around, there is some minor improvement,,but it's by no means as well seated as the original schrader valve which is on the other tyre, which hasn't been swapped yet.

OP
OP
Matt-g

Matt-g

Hi, just a quick update, I noticed that you can get a small plastic rim converter. I ordered a couple and they fit a treat!
Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom