New type of road marking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GruB

30-03-08_0926.jpg

Saw this today on the road near Hungerford. I have not noticed them before and will now have to ride or drive down that way at night to see if they are effective.

Has anyone else seen them in action?

They are quite raised too. I tried to take a ground level shot but couldn't be arsed to get off the bike so it failed.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
What are they marking GruB? They look slippier then a greased ice rink covered in diesel!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Its a cat-eye type thingy thats in the road. Only seen them on country lanes, but they arent too slippy. You can see where they are and if you just catch them they arent too bad. Not had the balls to go over them completey. I think they are there to wake up car drivers when they stray over the white lines and also to reflect some light from headlight, not sure on how good they are though.

OP
OP
GruB

GruB

Joe is right on. They are glass looking, not a pie dish. Where I was one had unplugged and I tried to see if I could find it to take away and test later, but alas it was unfounded.
I was not game enough to ride over them. My bike is riding sweet at the minute and that would be just tempting fate. But as they are in the centre of the road on that stretch there is no need for me to be there anyway.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We've had them on a nasty bend for a couple of years near me. They are solar powered and hence shine withouit the need for reflection. They're excellent for cars but I you wouldn't want to ride over one on skinny tyres although mtb's would be fine.

OP
OP
GruB

GruB

The ones near Hungerford are in the centre line - but I have been told that they also have them on the edges upt' North. That does not sound like a good idea for us lot.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There are different types of catseyes made in different eras. Some are tiny, others are pretty big and stick out a lot.

simonali

Guru
There are some brilliant LED cat's eyes on the A338 between Ringwood and Salisbury. I like driving down there with my lights off and then suddenly switching them on again when another car is approaching! :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
France have good ones. They flash and they follow each other, looking like they are following each other up to the courners and going round them. They turn off when a car has past aswell.

yenrod

Joe24 said:
France have good ones. They flash and they follow each other, looking like they are following each other up to the courners and going round them. They turn off when a car has past aswell.

Any pics. these sound great !!!!!!!!!!!! - typical though innit - the French have such a brilliant technological light and we still have boring old Cat's Eyes.

Top Bottom