New type of tyre valve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is this another solution to a problem that is a lot smaller than the blurb makes out? Schrader valves are a standard for millions of vehicles worldwide, and I've not really had a problem with them, even on bicycles. Small wheels and high spoke count issues seem to be more of a problem related to the size of the pump head which this new system doesn't really address. Probably sports riders will cling to their Presta valves for a long time yet, even if the dinosaurs at the UCI even eventually accept this new standard.

As for Dunlop/Woods valves, when did you last see one of those, unless you are an enthusiast for vintage cycles? That is actually a perfectly good valve too, even though it has gone out of fashion.

I think we will just end up with yet another standard to add to the collection. How will the click mechanism cope with long term wear, road dirt, etc? Only time will tell. Perhaps what will ultimately decide what wins out is how effective the marketing is, leading to people fitting what's easily available in the shops, or what is fitted as standard to new bikes. If the motor industry adopts it, it'll flow down elsewhere. With fewer dedicated bike shops about and supermarkets selling a dumbed down selection of bike accessories, perhaps what ends up on their shelves will also have a big influence.
 

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Location
Plymouth
I must say I've never had a problem with Shrader valves, apart from once on my motorbike but that was because the garage pump head was mahoosive. Presta valves are more of a pain but only take a few seconds longer to do. I disagre with new designs of things when the current design has no problems. Introducing new fittings just leads to more frustratino and more newer fittings being bought for no reason. Imagine if plug sockets had more than one type of fitting!
 

Alex321

Guru
Location
South Wales
German manufacturer Schwalbe has revealed what it says will become the industry standard in bicycle tire valve systems.

That is optimistic, given we still have plenty of all three "current" standards around (not so many of the Woods type, but many of both Schraeder and Presta).
 

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
This looks similar in principal to the standardised quick-release hydraulic / pneumatic couplings found in industry, which are typically pretty bomb-proof.

While not insurmountable I can appreciate the issues with both existing common types of valve; Schraders are irritating especially in high-pressure applications if trying to force the pump head on against tyre pressure while toggling the lock over.. while Prestas can certainly be fragile. On top of that the need to compress the rubber bush over a threaded valve body can take a lot of effort and doesn't do the pump head any favours.

I think the big hurdle will be getting momentum in mass-adaptation with the need for adaptors or different pump heads.

That aside I think this system looks like a nice, user-friendly solution with legit, tangible benefits. Suggesting that it's a solution looking for a problem is maybe selling it short.
 

Conrad_K

unindicted co-conspirator
My trike came with Presta valves in front. I didn't really care, but a after pricing a new (decent) tire guage and a pump, I bought some Presta-to-Schrader adapters. When it's time for new tires, I'll open the rims up to take Schrader tubes.
 

Happy_Days

Senior Member
This looks similar in principal to the standardised quick-release hydraulic / pneumatic couplings found in industry, which are typically pretty bomb-proof.

While not insurmountable I can appreciate the issues with both existing common types of valve; Schraders are irritating especially in high-pressure applications if trying to force the pump head on against tyre pressure while toggling the lock over.. while Prestas can certainly be fragile. On top of that the need to compress the rubber bush over a threaded valve body can take a lot of effort and doesn't do the pump head any favours.

I think the big hurdle will be getting momentum in mass-adaptation with the need for adaptors or different pump heads.

That aside I think this system looks like a nice, user-friendly solution with legit, tangible benefits. Suggesting that it's a solution looking for a problem is maybe selling it short.
I agree ☝️

It looks more user-friendly and robust than a Presta valve. However, mass adoption won’t be straightforward.
 

Seevio

Guru
Location
South Glos
I thought I'd re-animate this thread rather than start a new one. I have ordered a clik conversion kit after finding out about these valves.
I realise that they do seem to be a solution looking for a problem but they were cheap and if it saves me some faffing around I'll consider it acceptable.

I will report back how I get on.
 

Seevio

Guru
Location
South Glos
According to the marketing, Clik valves don't suffer from bending the central rod, unscrewing the valve core when removing a pump or getting clogged with sealant (for the tubeless crowd). These are all probably true but as I haven't suffered from any of them with presta valves it's not much of a thing, although I understand some here have had the clogging issue.

The real advantage over presta is that it's much simpler to to apply and remove the pump from the valve. While it's very true that there is no great effort in using presta valves (unscrewing the locking nut, screwing on the pump or pushing it on and clamping it) there is still some effort involved. It is this which clik eliminates.

I bought a starter kit which includes the pump adaptor. The adaptor can also be bought separately. It screws into the schrader fitting of an existing pump and I was also able to use on the schrader push on/clamp side of my old track pump. This means that you don't need to go out and buy a new dedicated pump. It was easy to push onto the valve and it just locks in place. It's a little harder to remove but not so much that your knuckles are at risk on the rotors or sprockets. I was also able to use my existing push on presta pump on the clik valve although you would only do this in an emergency as otherwise there would be no point is using these valves.

Lastly is the cost. Clik valves are significantly more expensive than presta valves at about £3 more per valve. There seems to be a similar markup on clik tubes as well. I leave it to you to decide whether this amount is significant based on your turnover of valve cores or tubes.

In my mind there is no doubt that clik is the better system. If it had been invented at the same time as presta, presta would be a retro curiosity like push rod brakes. The problem is that it's not that much better than presta. There is no point in replacing your perfectly fine presta tubes or valves unless you really like gadgets (like me) . What I would say though, is that when your current stock runs out and you need to buy new valves or tubes, then would be the time to switch.
 

super_davo

Veteran
I think this is my problem with Clik too. It looks great and I am sure if I had it I'd really enjoy using it.

But its such neglible effort using Presta even if massively superior, how much time and effort could it possibly save, and is that saving worth running a different system from 99% of other cyclists such that you need to carry a special adaptor around with you in order to use anyone elses pump? OK so you've said you could bodge the connection but that's not guaranteed to work.

I could see more of a reason to switch due to improved flow rate or reduction in clogging from sealant, and theoretically Clik is better for that vs Presta, but even then, the improvements seem fairly marginal.
 

Seevio

Guru
Location
South Glos
...such that you need to carry a special adaptor around with you in order to use anyone elses pump? OK so you've said you could bodge the connection but that's not guaranteed to work.
Its not really a bodge. You would probably have problems with the types of pumps that screw on, but the type that push on work just fine, in my very small sample size.

To be fair, you won't go to your grave regretting it if you stick with presta valves. I won't be changing the rest of my bikes until I naturally run out of tubes or decide to convert another one to tubeless.
 
Top Bottom