New tyres - dramatic improvement!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last night I went for my first ride since changing the tyres on my bike. I got rid of Continental Ultra Race in favour of the same size folding Continental Gatorskins. I am genuinely surprised at the smoothness of the new tyres; despite being inflated to the same pressures as the old ones, they just seemed to float over the road with a much more compliant ride.

Before yesterday, I would not have believed how much difference tyres could make to the comfort of the ride, despite being no wider. The change was made because of the amount of punctures in the old tyres, but I am now a convert to the Gatorskins for other reasons.

Cool I just ordered a pair of GP4000s along with Michelin Ultra Lite Tubes im hoping i get a similar experience as your own.^_^

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I am running gator skins at the moment and very happy. Some people claim they are a bit skittish in the rain but I have not experienced this.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I run on Gatorskins. I chose them when I got the bike so can't compare to others......but I really enjoy the smooth ride.

LOL, I just the same combo, well almost, the tubes blew but I was in a rush and probably took twice as long in the end :blush:

Yer never used these tyres or tubes both seem to have good reviews they are certainly alot lighter than the current tyres I have, Ill test them on the front wheel only first I think.

Yer never used these tyres or tubes both seem to have good reviews they are certainly alot lighter than the current tyres I have, Ill test them on the front wheel only first I think.
Can't say about the tubes :blush: but the tyres are fab, they've been on my Bianchi for about 2800 miles and they've been great, roll well with plenty of grip and in that time the front has only had one p'ture (and thats was when 1000 carpet tacks were scattered over the course) the rear has had none. The wear markers on the rear are only just starting to fade (the front is fine) too, so I'd rate them for wear (caveat I'm not the heaviest of riders). The new set that came Wednesday made a dramatic improvement to the training bike which I used for my first 10 mile TT (they were bought as a spare for the Bianchi when they were offer and I really should change them back).

Globalti

Legendary Member
I love the ride from my Michelin Pro 3s, really grippy, fast and amazingly smooth.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
the ride is good on the new gators, bit of rubbing on the crud catchers with the new tyre flash but should drop off soon once worn a bit. once ive sorted my brakes and ave confidence at speed i will report back with my findings!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I love the ride from my Michelin Pro 3s, really grippy, fast and amazingly smooth.
- true as long as you are on good smooth tarmac. IME almost unusable after 1 summer use on 'normal' roads. Cut up really badly by top dressed lanes, whereas Gatorskins seem to be unaffected.

- true as long as you are on good smooth tarmac. IME almost unusable after 1 summer use on 'normal' roads. Cut up really badly by top dressed lanes, whereas Gatorskins seem to be unaffected.
That's the reviews I was getting from friends, great grippy, fast and light tyres but they are prone to cutting up and that was just on normal roads used for road races; so I wouldn't imagine they were extra rough.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ribble Valley roads are as bad as anywhere else and they seem to do OK here. Perhaps if you commute in a city and there's broken glass around they might not fare so well.

Top Bottom