New tyres for winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I have a Whyte Suffolk which came with Maxxis Detonators.

Just typed them into search function and see the general consensus is they are crap!

What tyres would be best to get me through the next 5 months of winter commuting? :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Oh, can take bigger than 28s, if that is an advantage?

Oh, can take bigger than 28s, if that is an advantage?

There has been a few threads like this over the past week or so. I've put 28 gators on mine (£20, wiggle). Mainly 'cause its dark and its harder to avoid rough road surfaces. It works, although I've not had an opportunity to test the grip (or lack of).

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Sorry, not been on for a good few weeks, should really have done a search of recent posts!

I was thinking going up to 32 or something, not sure

Rustybucket

Veteran
For my commuter I've gone for 32 marathon plus, apparently they are bomb proof. I've had them for a year and had no problems. I've heard they are very tricky to get on and off thou.

400bhp

Guru
Depends upon where you're riding and how much you are prepared to forgo rolling resistance and extra weight for real puncture proof protection.

Custom24

Über Member
I have a Whyte Suffolk which came with Maxxis Detonators.

Just typed them into search function and see the general consensus is they are crap!

What tyres would be best to get me through the next 5 months of winter commuting? :thumbsup:
I have a Suffolk as well. Just wanted to ask if you have cycled much on the detonators? I replaced mine immediately with m+, but I wondered about trying the detonators during the summer.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I've done about 500 miles on them and had 3 punctures. So, probably not good when you look at it like that.

Feel comfortable, responsive etc but then I've never experienced any other tyre so have no frame of reference whatsoever!!

Custom24

Über Member
I've done about 500 miles on them and had 3 punctures. So, probably not good when you look at it like that.

Feel comfortable, responsive etc but then I've never experienced any other tyre so have no frame of reference whatsoever!!
Thanks, yes it was puncture rate I was interested in, since although the Whyte website lists them as having puncture protection, people do say that they are not good. 3 in 500 miles isn't too bad, but I won't bother putting them back on my bike.
By the way, marathon plus 28 are fairly easy to get on and off these rims, compared by my MTB anyway.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Might be on the wrong track, but it states 'Make sure there is at least 6mm clearance when they are fitted.'

So, 38mm mudguards, means 32c tyres leaves 6mm clearance (just). Is 38c the same as 38mm, is that how it works?

Custom24

Über Member
So, 38mm mudguards, means 32c tyres leaves 6mm clearance (just). Is 38c the same as 38mm, is that how it works?

When I wrote the above, I thought so, but now I am not sure. I think ask the shop, remembering also that there will be rim width restrictions.

Top Bottom