New tyres needed after Brighton Cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Hi all,

Yesterday i took part in the Capiltal to Coast bike ride, which was great fun although the bike took a battering.

A lot of the cycing took place on B roads, with maybe 1- miles on more major a roads. I found the bike a nightmare on the gravelly roads and managed to drop it twice after it snaked out on me.

Around 45 miles in i peered at my rear tyre to see a 2 inch piece of tyre lacking any rubber! After speaking to a mechanic the pressure was dropped and i took it easy to the finish.

Im now looking for a new set of Tubular tyres, as im using deep XED carbon wheels. Im looking for a tyre suitable to good (A roads) road surfaces and am not too fused on price as it is used daily. I currently have conti comp tubs are there any other tyres i should look at?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why had the rubber worn off over a 2" area? Did you lock up or is your rim bent causing the brake to grab at the same place every revolution?

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Im not sure why it worn in that specific area, i post up pics later.

I plan to get the tubs put on professionally and the wheels trued before this process

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why are you bothering with tubs on a daily bike ? - do you not have any spare wheels. I have two sets of tubular rims, but never use them as they are more suited to racing - tyres are more suitable for day in day out.

I'd fit the tubs yourself, as you'll need to do that when you get a p**cture.

skwerl

if I were running on tubs daily I'd be concerned about price.
as fossyant says - clinchers would be the way forward for daily use

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
I have recently bought the bike second hand and am therefore using what is currently on the bike and seeing what i would like to be replaced/changed.

I was aware of the tubs, but was not fussed as i have never used them before as i currently do not race.

Can i replace the tubs with an inner tube and tyre, or are the wheels only designed for tubs. Im having problems uploading photos but here are two pictures of the wheel and damage. As said earlier i dropped the bike twice during the race and may have caused the slight buckle/damage to the wheel.

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

On the thought of changing to normal tyres and tubs, what advantages/disadvantages are there? (except from price)

k-dog

You'd have to change the whole wheel - or at least the rims - to a type suitable for clinchers.

The main advantage is the ease of fixing a flat - a small patch kit is all you need.

The disadvantage is that tubulars roll a bit better.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Ok, so it what i thought

Well ive got to get a new set of tubs and the wheels trued so ill get that done.

Can someone recomend me a set of wheels with tyres for under £200 then?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Handbuilt - Mavic Open Pro on 105 or Veloce hubs, depending whether you use Campagnolo or Shimano. Not getting into that debate here. Or Readymade - dunno. Mavic Aksiums seem to have a good rep.
As for tyres - whatever anyone reccomends someone else will say they're rubbish. Very personal things are tyres. I normally go with Conti GatorSkins, but others hate them.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Michelin Pro-race3. Parker international. Bloody good, grippier than a grippy thing, very smooth ride even with my 85kg's and 116 psi. Roll very well. God's own clincher.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Fab Foodie said:
Michelin Pro-race3. Parker international. Bloody good, grippier than a grippy thing, very smooth ride even with my 85kg's and 116 psi. Roll very well. God's own clincher.

you reckon they're alright then?:tongue:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
hubgearfreak said:
you reckon they're alright then?:tongue:
Not bad really...:smile:

I used to like my PR2's but the 3's are in an all-round different league. It's the handling and grip that is so confidence inspiring, I can't rate them highly enough, especially at just over £20 each.

peanut

Fab Foodie said:

Can't go far wrong with Michelin Pro race 2 or 3 .
Grippier than .. ...............well what he said :biggrin: for puncture resistance Continental GP4000 look pretty bomb proof

Top Bottom