new tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slybacon

hi. I have recently bought new wheels for my ridgeback touring bike and I am not sure what tyres to use for touring. I have 32c on just now but was thinking of going to 35c . any thoughts .also what make kind of tyres to use .i tour quite a lot so carry reasonably amount of weight on the back pannier rack but tend to stick to roads or tracks.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi @slybacon and :welcome:.

I run Schwalbe Marathon on my best bike in 700x35c and like them a lot - in my opinion they roll and grip well, are very puncture resistant and are pretty hard wearing. For even better puncture resistance the Marathon Plus have a lot of fans on here (though apparently they can be tricky to fit)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
hi. I have recently bought new wheels for my ridgeback touring bike and I am not sure what tyres to use for touring. I have 32c on just now but was thinking of going to 35c . any thoughts .also what make kind of tyres to use .i tour quite a lot so carry reasonably amount of weight on the back pannier rack but tend to stick to roads or tracks.
My Ridgeback ex hybrid now flatbar tourer gets away with 28 marathons but it does have a 4 cross rear wheel (longer spokes/more springy) and I run them pretty hard 80fr 90r so I'd be tempted to stick to 32's but I would recommend using Schwalbe tyres. I'm also quite heavy (13 stone) and tend to carry quite a lot when I'm off for a week.

OP
OP
S

slybacon

cheers all. tried my mates 35c tyres today and unfortunately they hit my mudguards , so unless I change mudguards it's 32c again.

Top Bottom