New tyres....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

Got a Giant defy 1 2013 and think its time for a new set of tyres, got another puncture on sunday now got two or 3 cuts my tyre and they've done 1000+miles, these are the orignal giant tyres

My question is what do people recommend, think continentals are good?, but most seem to be folding tyres? my current tyres have a wire bead should i be geting wire bead tyres or foldable ok? whats the pros and cons and suggestion for best of each?

will i see a big difference with new tyres

Mostly riding 25 to 50+ at a time......

thanks!

Foldable tyres just tend to be lighter and more expensive tyres but they are clinchers the same as wired tyres. Continental is recognised brand with something thats suits nearly every rider. Grand Prix's for speed, Gator's for p'ture protection an 4 season in between. FWIW I prefer to use Mitchelin Pro 4 Endurance in winter, similar to 4 seasons but are cheaper and wear better and use the Grand Prixs in spring/summer/winter for a slightly better performance.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Hello,

Got a Giant defy 1 2013 and think its time for a new set of tyres, got another puncture on sunday now got two or 3 cuts my tyre and they've done 1000+miles, these are the orignal giant tyres

My question is what do people recommend, think continentals are good?, but most seem to be folding tyres? my current tyres have a wire bead should i be geting wire bead tyres or foldable ok? whats the pros and cons and suggestion for best of each?

will i see a big difference with new tyres

Mostly riding 25 to 50+ at a time......

thanks!
Folding are usually a bit lighter which makes them slightly more expensive. Some people think they are easier to fit than wired although I personally can't say I've noticed much difference.
Now that the better weather is coming in, I think the Continental GP4000S would probably suit you well and they seem to get great reviews. A few places got deals just now for a pair for just under £50.

I have personally been using Schwalbe Durano Plus on my road bike. It is a bit heavier and maybe not as quick, but has good puncture protection if that is important to you.

You will find everyone has their favourites though so I am sure there will be more recommendations shortly.

sreten

Hi,

Buy 1 new tyre. Put it on the front. Put the old front on the back. Repeat as necessary.

(Don't chuck away / replace perfectly usable tyres, 1000 miles is not much for
tyres especially the front, for the front its pretty much nothing. Hence rotate the
tyres as the rear wears about 3 times faster. However I can see the appeal
of two new tyres, a lot of the time though its simply not necessary.)

If your running 23mm go 25mm, The latter are real world better for nearly all riders.

rgds, sreten.

Kies

Vittoria Rubino's on my Defy 1 - 23c in the black/blue colour combo.
good grip - cheap and brilliant

AndyRM

XOXO
Another vote for Continental's range from me. I had bad experiences with Schwalbe and Vittoria before settling on them as my brand of choice. I also quite like the Michelin Pro 4 rubber.

Tyres are very subjective IMO. Try a few of the big names and see what you're most comfortable riding on.

Assuming the stock tyres on your Giant are the PSLR-1s, I believe those are front and rear specific. This is pretty unusual so don't expect it from 'normal' replacement tyres.

sreten

Hi,

Buy 1 new tyre. Put it on the front. Put the old front on the back. Repeat as necessary.

(Don't chuck away / replace perfectly usable tyres, 1000 miles is not much for
tyres especially the front, for the front its pretty much nothing. Hence rotate the
tyres as the rear wears about 3 times faster. However I can see the appeal
of two new tyres, al ot of the time though its simply not necessary.)

If your running 23mm go 25mm, The latter are real world better for nearly all riders.

rgds, sreten.

maltloaf

Agree with rotating front to back to scrap. I've done all winter on 3 durano doing this. I did autumn Gatorskins to durano then replaced the rear when it cut up badly. Next rotation will be front to a gp4000s and it's durano to the rear etc.

Top Bottom