New Wheel(s)

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by summerdays, 8 Feb 2018.

1. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

I'm not someone who needs high end wheels (I probably wouldn't notice the difference) ... I just want one that will keep going, stay true, and disk brake compatible. Unfortunately my LBS closed last year otherwise I'd have left it all up to them. The bearings have gone (making a horrible noise and stiff to turn) in the current one so Mr Summerdays has had to donate his front wheel in the mean time. (I don't like his.... it has bladed rather than round spokes - fussy aren't I:laugh:). Not sure whether I should replace the rear wheel too, but maybe one thing at a time.

Anyway the existing front wheel (which had done 8 or 10 years service), was the bog standard one that came with the bike 26 inch wheel, 36 spoke, presta valve, disk brake Alexrims.

What would be a good replacement? Under £100 Nothing too delicate, they sometimes do a little off road...

2. iluvmybike

iluvmybike Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with one of these: https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-mach-mtb-wheel-sale-26-54304.html
    Just remember to select the disk brake version

3. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

I have some almost unused disk braked wheels hanging up at home - I can get you some photos and specs tonight if you are interested. They won't be expensive as they are generally just collecting dust and I keep banging my head on them. I know they are Alexrims, not sure on the rest of the spec.

roadrash and raleighnut like this.
  4. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

This is what they are, Alexrim DP17, not sure on the hubs. They have not seen more than 15 miles use.

Attached Files:

5. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

@summerdays alex rims are bombproof, I got them on 2 of my bikes.
    Took the loud decals off though ^_^
    I think some cyclists say they are heavy.
    @Milkfloat 's ones look good with lots of spokes, check disk bolts, if the number on yours is the same.
    You will need a P something torque wrench fitting, I seem to remember you have one.
    It's easy to swap, even me I did it no probs. :laugh:

summerdays likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

How much do you want for them, and would they be a pain to post?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice