New Wheel(s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joggingbob

In need of some advice and recommendations, (again). Currently commute on a hard tail MTB and the rear wheel has suffered a few broken spokes over time and on the last visit to get the spoke replaced the mechanic advised that it may be time to get a new wheel, (no heavy sell).

Current wheel is a Bontrager Ranger Series 6000 (559x18) with a Shimano FH-M475 hub laced with stainless steel spokes. It also has disc brakes.

Now the questions -
a) Any recommendation for what wheel to buy (may look to buy a pair but front is fine). Budget up to £100 per wheel. 90% + is used for road commuting but some off road use.

B) Assuming I buy a replacement wheel how easy is it to swap over i.e. I assume it will come with the hub and free wheel and I just need to move over the cassette and disk mount / disc?

Thanks as ever for your opinions and knowledge.

redjedi

Über Member
For £100 a wheel most on here would suggest getting some hand built ones.

Find a good LBS and get some quotes from them, unless you're brave enough to do it yourself.
Going through the LBS would mean they will probably swap the cassette and brake disk over for you.
Not sure on what hubs to use with disc brakes but have a look at Mavic Open Pros. Very solid rims.

MichaelM

Guru
I was asking at 2 lbs about wheelbuilds recently.

One costs £20 per wheel, plus £15 for spokes/npples, then there's your choice of hub and rim on top of that.

The second was £30 per wheel, about the same for spokes/nipples.

That should give you a rough idea of what you can get at the lbs.

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

redjedi, thanks for the suggestion. £100 was the limit if I went lower and bought "off the shelf" any thoughts on a recommendation? Would not contemplate wheel building myself, (at least not yet). Just helpful to have some knowledge before shopping.

MichaelM, Little bit more expensive near me. LBS published labourprice of £49 per wheel, (inc spokes) plus cost of rim and hub purchased from them.

MichaelM

Guru
Just noticed it's for mtb.

Try classifieds on Singletrackworld, you'll pick up a set of Hope XC hubs on a mavic rim for well under £200

or a new set of Hope Hoops from Merlin for £210.

buddha

Veteran
MerlinCycles are usually recommended for good handbuilt mtb wheels. I bought pair of Mavic XC717 on XT wheels for about £120 a few years ago and they're still going strong.

OP
OP
J

joggingbob

MichaelM & buddha, thanks for the info. Most helpful, will have a look. May come back with further questions !

Top Bottom