New wheels/Cassette/Chain 8 speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steady

Über Member
The tricky part. 650c wheels.

I own the Triban 3 (red) 51 cursed with 650c, owned it wheels from new, it’s done just over 2000 miles over a few years which isn’t huge, but at least got back to a little consistency this year.

I bought a smart turbo trainer and I can tell I’ll get sick of swapping tyres especially in the winter so I thought I’d buy new wheels instead and use the old wheels with old tyres on for the turbo trainer.

I’ve always had my Dad to fall back onto when I’ve done stupid things/bought the wrong things for bikes but he passed away, so can anyone tell me if I’m doing anything blaringly obviously wrong?

Two wheel options:

Options/budget unfortunately is pre-determined by what’s out there when it comes to 650c.

The bankrupt bike part: Vision Team 30 650c
£109
https://www.amazon.co.uk/650c-VISION-TEAM-30-ALLOY-CLINCHER-TRIATHLON-WHEEL-DISCOUNT/dp/B01CGKRNDS

Or capitalising on CRC’s latest sale

Pro-lite Garda a30w 650c wheels, which are basically Pro-lite Garda DS upgraded/improved from what I can tell.
£127
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/pro-lite-garda-a30w-clincher-road-wheelset/rp-prod175435

With CRC’s sale, I’m more inclined to go with the Pro-Lite Garda since at least they come from a big seller and with the sale they drop down to around £127 atm seems the better option and I don't mind stretching to £130. I’ve read many T3 650c’s go with the Vision Team 30’s with no problems, but there’s no third party specs on the wheels from what I can tell, and at least with the Pro-lite’s there sort of is, even if most of the specs talk about the 700c version. and with CRC's sale they're not far off from the Vision Team 30's price.

Both 11 speed wheels, so I’m assuming I’ll have to use a 1.85mm spacer since the triban 3 is 8 speed?

Which, part of the main intent being easy wheel swap for the turbo trainer because they are not the same wheels, am I right in thinking even if I manage to get the spacing right, they still could be some indexing issues to sort out each time?

I had thought about buying just a spare back wheel from Decathalon, thinking it would be identical to the originals sold, but they're not the exact same make as the original 650c wheel anymore, and if I’m honest, I fancied new wheels, re-greasing the hubs on the Triban 3’s wheels every couple of months get a bit annoying.

Don’t think I’ve gone wrong with the new cassette choice, just the Shimano Hg50 sora 8 speed 12-25 cassette, and a KMC X8-93 8 Speed Chain.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Always good to have a spare pair of wheels, one for dirty/winter and one for lighter/summer usage.
Better still if you have two bikes.

But I've been using a turbo for years, although not excessive usage, but I've never bothered to use turbo specific tyres. Just my normal duty road tyres.
What's the worst that could happen? Blow out on the turbo or puncture on the road. If it is happening frequently, you may have a case for a dedicated turbo tyre, but otherwise, just use the set up you have.

OP
OP
Steady

Steady

Über Member
Always good to have a spare pair of wheels, one for dirty/winter and one for lighter/summer usage.
Better still if you have two bikes.

But I've been using a turbo for years, although not excessive usage, but I've never bothered to use turbo specific tyres. Just my normal duty road tyres.
What's the worst that could happen? Blow out on the turbo or puncture on the road. If it is happening frequently, you may have a case for a dedicated turbo tyre, but otherwise, just use the set up you have.

More bikes the more fun!

Just using regular older tyres on the turbo trainer. I've kept my better continentals grand prix's for the road usage, and keep swapping back to the original cheapo btwin tyres for the turbo since they'll be a £10-ish to replace, over the £20-ish of continentals. I do get a lot of rubber shredding, still finding that balance.

Just seems better way to do for me.

I like 650c wheels on the road bike, better fit, less toe overlap etc, but they don't half make things more complicated and reduce a lot of options.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My son raced on the Pro-Lite 650's for a year: they're nice wheels.

The Vision Team wheels are OK but hubs wear quickly, or at least that was my experience.

Of the two I'd have Pro-Lite.

OP
OP
Steady

Steady

Über Member
My son raced on the Pro-Lite 650's for a year: they're nice wheels.

The Vision Team wheels are OK but hubs wear quickly, or at least that was my experience.

Of the two I'd have Pro-Lite.

Nice to get your feedback on both of them. I had suspected that the Pro-lites should be a lot better, admittedly if there wasn't a discount bringing them down to the similar price range of the Team Vision's I probably wouldn't even be thinking about them, but sounds like they're well worth the extra.

Top Bottom