New Wheels Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FetterSteve

I have read that the best "bang for the bucks" upgrade is new wheels so I'm looking to get some for my Giant Defy as part of a gradual process.

I have a local wheel builder so will probably go down that route but I'm looking for recommendations for what I should be looking at especially as I am ( currently ) on the chunky side :whistle:

I think I will need at least 32 and more likely 36 spoke wheels and most of my riding is 20 mile fitness runs with the occasional 40-50 miler so can anyone throw some suggestions at me for what to start looking at?

Cheers

PpPete

Legendary Member
really depends on budget....

Rims:
Rigida Chrina are popular at the budget end.
Mavic Open Pro are an enduring "standard" twice the price of the Chrina, a bit lighter, but have a reputation for wearing quickly.
IRD Cadence are similar price, even lighter, but little known in UK
Even more expensive are Ambrosio (Excellight - similar weight to Open Pro, and slightly chunkier Excellence - still lighter than Chrina) and DT Swiss rims.

Hubs
Shimano Tiagra, 105 or Ultegra are good, depends on your budget...they are all loose ball/cup and cone.
In sealed bearing hubs consider: Ambrosio Zenith (popular - but at least one forum member has had problems), Miche Primato/Racing Box, Hope Pro III, Royce, DT Swiss

Spokes
MUST be double-butted stainless throughout. Dont go for this plain gauge on drive side, double-butted NDS malarkey - it's b*ll*cks.
ACI are good & cheap. Sapim Race and DT Swiss Comps are more expensive.

monkeypony

Mavic open pro ceramic rims (expensive but my god, you get some bite out of the breaks!)
DT Swiss 240s Hubs.
DT Spokes.

Not cheap but a bloody lovely (and strong) wheel set.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Actually imho the best "bang for the bucks" components are tyres, tubes, rims and spokes (note hubs are not on the list). Choice of tyres and tubes however is very dependent on what features are important to you so I shan't be making more suggestions.

If your budget allows I would definitely consider Mavic's Open Pros. They are as light and strong as any money can buy and imho not overpriced compared to the competition - it is hard to do better since a good set of handmade wheels is really an investment.

If you want to improve the life and resilience of the wheels you should get double butted spokes from a good brand such as DT Swiss (choice exists as lighter ones get more expensive - spoke mass is not insiginificant - they are roughly half that of a light rim). Some people mistakenly believe that straight gauge spokes are stronger albeit heavier and would therefore make a stronger wheel, in actual fact if properly built all quality spokes are strong enough and butted spokes allow some flex and hence load sharing which actually make a better wheel.

A decent hub (and they don't need to be expensive to be decent) has no significant implication on a wheel's rotational inertia or friction or feel, and there is no reason why they won't last for years if regularly and properly maintained.

Finally, of course the skill of the wheel builder is critical.

Top Bottom