New Wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I decided to invest in some new wheels for one of my bikes as I was having a couple of different issues. I've no real complaints about the builder, as he is a quality old geezer but there was a couple of issues with the last set I got of him but it was nothing that he couldn't sort really quickly.

This time I took the bike round to him as I wanted to make sure he had all the information he required for the wheels I needed. I tried to fit them last night, starting with the rear on a quick release skewer but I couldn't seem to get it to run smoothly despite it being fully home and secure. I decided to see if I would have better luck with the front, but I have a 15mm through axle on this bike but the wheel looks like a 12mm or even less. :eek:

My question is, can I just fit a 12mm thu axle to fit the wheel, or is it the forks that dictate the size required?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just plotting this out here: what was the spec you gave the wheel builder?
I can't answer your question because some of the data are conflicting/confusing.
Specification of wheels:
Rim: make/model, number of spokes (front/rear), disc/rim brake track?, drilled for schrader or not
Type of spoke: SS, butted, blade? colour
Nipple: =brass (or not and colour)
Hub, front: (make/model if specified), axle QR/thru(dimension)/nutted, disc/rim brake, OLD
Hub, rear: (make/model if specified), axle QR/thru(dimension)/nutted, OLD, disc and if so centrelock or 6-bolt, type of freehub (C/S and cassette speed to be used)
Have I missed something?

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
If you took the bike to him to measure up, and the wheels don't fit, isn't it up to him to sort the problem?
Yeah I thought the same and I can but I have since moved quite a distance from him and if I thought I could get away with just buying a smaller axle, I would.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Just plotting this out here: what was the spec you gave the wheel builder?
I can't answer your question because some of the data are conflicting/confusing.
Specification of wheels:
Rim: make/model, number of spokes (front/rear), disc/rim brake track?, drilled for schrader or not
Not sure of the relevance of much of that but its drilled and 6 bolt disc.
Type of spoke: SS, butted, blade? colour

Again, not sure of the relevance, my only concern is the diameter of the axle.
Nipple: =brass (or not and colour)

Hub, front: (make/model if specified), axle QR/thru(dimension)/nutted, disc/rim brake, OLD

Hope hub pro 4
Hub, rear: (make/model if specified), axle QR/thru(dimension)/nutted, OLD, disc and if so centrelock or 6-bolt, type of freehub (C/S and cassette speed to be used)

Original 11 speed cassette
Have I missed something?

When you say 'couldn't get it to run smoothly', is it actually running rough? Is there play at the hub when properly located and fixed? Some hubs can feel a bit tight until the seals settle but you're unlikely to notice it while riding. If it's running really rough then it's not impossible to get a bad bearing in a new hub but if it's just moderate and there's no play when fixed then give it a few miles and see if it settles.

And yes, axle size is dictated by dropout size. Sounds like the wrong hub was ordered for the front but Hope do replacements that cover QR, 9, 12, 15 and 20mm so not a complete disaster.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
When you say 'couldn't get it to run smoothly', is it actually running rough? Is there play at the hub when properly located and fixed? Some hubs can feel a bit tight until the seals settle but you're unlikely to notice it while riding. If it's running really rough then it's not impossible to get a bad bearing in a new hub but if it's just moderate and there's no play when fixed then give it a few miles and see if it settles.

And yes, axle size is dictated by dropout size. Sounds like the wrong hub was ordered for the front but Hope do replacements that cover QR, 9, 12, 15 and 20mm so not a complete disaster.
Its probably just moderate, but not what I expected on a new wheel. I am happy to give it a few miles though as you suggest.

I waited months to get these wheels and only got them after I called to enquire where they were. I think he forgot about me and picked up the first blue hubs that came to his hand after I called him. As I said, great old geezer, but anyone who knows the shop will know that its organised chaos in there. I'll call him again today to see if he can get me an adapter.

Thanks for your reply. :okay:

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru

For clarity.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I didn't realise hope hubs were just as easy alter as they are. 15mm ends are being posted out to me. :okay:

Top Bottom