New wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

Hi

I'm looking to replace my wheels on my hybrid. When I bought it second hand I had the wheels trued which helped but there is a definite flat spot on the rear.

I want to get a pair cheap off ebay, I found these, would they be suitable?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BANKRUPT-700c...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item27a9a3982e

I don't expect them to be brilliant, but should perform better than my current knackered pair. Could upgrade again later when funds allow.

I have a Trek 7100FX hybrid with a 7 speed (shimano I think) cassette. And 700x35 tyres.

Are these the right kind of thing size wise etc? Are they fairly easy to fit, any special tools required or grease etc?

Any advice appreciated.

TIA

Rich

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
They're very cheap unbranded wheels. Cost about £60 with postage, I think you can get better quality Shimano wheels for similar money.

I'll find you a bargain tomorrow...if someone doesn't beat me to it

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Thanks Steve....wasn't expecting too much for my money to be honest, so long as I'm looking at the right spec/size etc then I can to a better search on ebay and see what comes up. many thanks.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Hi Steve - that's a great find.

However - i have a 7 speed cassette, i found a review of the wheels on chain reaction and a user review said they used a 7 speed spacer - is this the correct item do you know?

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-cassettes/7-speed-spacer.html

also if using a spacer - will my QR skewers still fit correctly, I'm assuming they will as the frame gap shouldn't change.

How about any special tools or grease and the like?

many thanks for finding those for me ;)

potsy

Rambler
rh100 said:
Hi Steve - that's a great find.

However - i have a 7 speed cassette, i found a review of the wheels on chain reaction and a user review said they used a 7 speed spacer - is this the correct item do you know?

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-cassettes/7-speed-spacer.html

also if using a spacer - will my QR skewers still fit correctly, I'm assuming they will as the frame gap shouldn't change.

How about any special tools or grease and the like?

many thanks for finding those for me ;)
I'd also check what width tyres you can use with those,notice you have 35mm currently-will they be ok on those rims?
Only ask because they are the wheels that came on my road bike with 25mm tyres.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
7 speed - easy. Buy an 8 speed cassette, ditch 1 sprocket. (8 speed spacers are 0.1mm narrower than 7s - I've never had an issue on my 7 speed bikes using te 8 speed spacers). On the cassette you'll need probably 2 x 3mm spacers slotted on first on the spoke side, before fitting the 7 sprockets, otherwise the hyper-glide lock ring won't tighten on the cassette properly.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

potsy said:
I'd also check what width tyres you can use with those,notice you have 35mm currently-will they be ok on those rims?
Only ask because they are the wheels that came on my road bike with 25mm tyres.

Good point - thanks for the tip

fossyant said:
7 speed - easy. Buy an 8 speed cassette, ditch 1 sprocket. (8 speed spacers are 0.1mm narrower than 7s - I've never had an issue on my 7 speed bikes using te 8 speed spacers). On the cassette you'll need probably 2 x 3mm spacers slotted on first on the spoke side, before fitting the 7 sprockets, otherwise the hyper-glide lock ring won't tighten on the cassette properly.

Hmmm, could do without buying a cassette aswell, might there not be an issue with chain width also? Plus the cassette I have at the mo' has a nice large cog specially for going up hills :wacko:

I think I've narrowed it down to the r500's, a cassette removal tool and chain whip, and a 7 speed spacer - according to sheldon brown about 4.5mm. Just shy of about £100 altogether which seems reasonable.

Going to leave it a month though as the cash has to go elsewhere for now :smile:

Top Bottom