New wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of upgrading the wheels on my roadbike - a Scott Speedster S40 2008. Its a nice bike, but just alu frame and carbon forks - not top end.

Looking to spend up to £300 but could be pushed to £400 if there's some really good bargains. I weight 100kg and just ride for fitness, but there's plenty of hils where I live so looking for something to help me there!

So any suggestions for strong and light good all year round wheels would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tigger

Crimmey

Shimano RS80's £315 from Merlin. Out of stock at mo but usually stock up on good sellers fairly quickly.
No weight limit, same light rims as dura-ace.

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
Shimano RS80's £315 from Merlin. Out of stock at mo but usually stock up on good sellers fairly quickly.
No weight limit, same light rims as dura-ace.

Thanks Crimmey - good site. Those RS80s look good for the money - I wonder how rigid they are though... not sure of the bit of carbon being bonded on is just a gimmick.

I also saw the Fulcrum 3s for just a bit more. They're a little heavier but with no need for rim tape there's probably not much in it

Anyone have any experience of these 2?

AlanW

Guru
Thanks Crimmey - good site. Those RS80s look good for the money - I wonder how rigid they are though... not sure of the bit of carbon being bonded on is just a gimmick.

I also saw the Fulcrum 3s for just a bit more. They're a little heavier but with no need for rim tape there's probably not much in it

Anyone have any experience of these 2?

Yes, I have recently purchased a pair of the RS80's, and I have to say they are amazing wheels for the money.

On one of my other bikes I have the Mavic SL's and the RS80 wheels are near enough in the same league, but at half the price!

They only give away 50 grammes to the SLs and if I had to be really picky, then I would say that maybe, just maybe they are not quite as stiff as the SL's. Which isn't a bad thing if you are not racing I guess?

IMHO you would be very hard pushed to get a pair of wheels such a high standard for this money?

That said, the front bearings sounded a bit gritty in the beginning, but after a few miles they bedded in quite nicely.

Go for it, you will not be sorry.

Top Bottom