new wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aberdeenian

Thinking of replacing the wheels on my road bike. They've got what they came with from the shop - 32 spoke jobs, Alexrims DA16 rims (the bike's a Specialized Dolce).

Any recommendations on something for around the £100 mark for the pair?

I don't race, but I do like long, hilly rides, so maybe something reasonably light? I'm not the heaviest rider in the world (9st), but the roads round here can be pretty rough, so I don't want anything too flimsy.

Ta,

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
Wiggle have a deal on at the moment OE Shimano 561's 20% off plus another 20% as over £100. Great pair of wheels for £90 (delivered).

gavintc

Guru
Except that Tiagra hubs are not good. I have a pair with Mavic rims, they demand regular re-tightening and I finally gave up on them and now use them as my turbo wheels. I replaced them with a set of Shimano 560s. Far far better.

gavintc

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Oh! Never had any problems with mine. When you say 'tightening' are we talking spoke coming loose, or bearings, or something else?

The bearings were loose. I would find over a period of a month or so, that the rear wheel would start to wobble a bit, touching the brake pads. I took it to 2 LBS for tightening and both commented that Tiagra bearings are poor.

twowheelsgood

At 9 stone you really don't have to worry too much about the robustness on modern rim, bar ultralightweight stuff.

I'd go open pro 32R / 28F with double butted spokes on any Shimano hub. I have Tiagra hubs on my Trek 1200 and these have done 5000km so far without adjustment and I'm over 90kg, so gavintc must have had a duff set.

noggin

I got a new pair of mavic Aksiums a month ago thanks to the crap wheels on my Sirrus eventually dying.

I can confirm that they're grand min and glide over the streets of Aiberdeen, cassies in Torry being the hardest test.

Top Bottom